Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  9
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2-Wk Custis Trail Detour, Aug 24-Sep 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I'll have to check it out, but I think a circle seems like a round peg in a slightly ovalized hole or something.

I can imagine something that functions like the circle but is not shaped like it, more like an elongated triangle. What the designers missed was that 90%+ of the traffic is the Custis and only a small fraction will use the south-side detour route. That's just a neighborhood connector, really.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis circle.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	21679
    Steve's sketch would have allowed eastbound riders to make a fairly clean left turn to go under the interstate. The installed circle abandons that 90 degree opportunity and instead gives something closer to 135 degrees. Alas, we have something else.

I fear that most westbound riders will just salmon that short segment. Great chances for chaos.

It will be interesting to look at the corner of the exit heading to the current detour route. The mud there will show the number of riders that didn't stay on the asphalt.

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I'll have to check it out, but I think a circle seems like a round peg in a slightly ovalized hole or something.

I can imagine something that functions like the circle but is not shaped like it, more like an elongated triangle. What the designers missed was that 90%+ of the traffic is the Custis and only a small fraction will use the south-side detour route. That's just a neighborhood connector, really.

Name:	Custis circle.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	21679

A traffic circle has also been proposed numerous times for the junction of Four Mile Run Trail and the Mount Vernon Trail. Can you draw a picture of how you would do that one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    A traffic circle has also been proposed numerous times for the junction of Four Mile Run Trail and the Mount Vernon Trail. Can you draw a picture of how you would do that one?

When you see the incredible number of bridges being built along I-66, it couldn't be that hard to get a flyover built for the northbound lane of the MVT. Could it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. Likes Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    When you see the incredible number of bridges being built along I-66, it couldn't be that hard to get a flyover built for the northbound lane of the MVT. Could it?

I donít want to encourage people to call for tolls on the MVT to pay for it.

8. Likes DanB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post

Yes, but this doesn’t solve the 4MR to southbound MVT contact point. You’ll need a full overpass and clover leaf to handle both.

10. Likes kwarkentien, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post

Name:	20200911_072628.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	21678

Here is a shot from Friday morning. This is the uphill exit from the circle and evidence of folks cutting the corner (I'm of the position that these are inadvertent).

Not sure any cyclists were consulted in the design. If Arlington only had some group that would offer advice on such matters. Maybe they could call it a Bicycle Advisory Group, or something like that.
    I agree that they are likely inadvertent. I have nearly had to do that every time I passed through so far. It is getting better and I start to brake earlier, but it is not at all a natural turn. They need a bit more asphalt there and in the equivalent location in the other direction.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I donít want to encourage people to call for tolls on the MVT to pay for it.

Now, if the tolls were variable, and kicked in only when the trail was overcrowded ......

13. Likes ursus, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    There's been the W&OD mm0 traffic circle forever, hardly anyone follows traffic circle etiquette there.

Name:	WOD mm0.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	21674
    There is also one at the other end in Purcellville which is easy not to notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    There is also one at the other end in Purcellville which is easy not to notice.
    it used to be a decorative medallion, I have NFI what happened to that