Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repainting Frames

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    If this person wants to try DIY, I recently discovered that Squid Bikes sells their paints for amateur and pro use: https://spraybike.us/

If you've never heard of or seen a Squid bike, their paint jobs are craaaaaaazy cool: https://www.instagram.com/squidbikes/

Thanks. I was the original emailer. Luckily, now I have a forum account. Thanks for all the helpful insight! Some follow up questions:

1. Is the Spray.bike as durable as powder coating? (Press releases on their website are making me think the product has been on market perhaps only 4 years.)

2. Any thoughts on how to get powder coating to match the "celeste" color? Use swatches? Anyone heard of someone matching the color well? (I realize the color 'celeste' has changed over the years.) (I think Spray.bike has a "Celeste"-like color, so this is more an issue with powder coating perhaps. I know auto body shops have machines that can color match for *wet* touch-up paint.)

3. Any performance (paint adhesion) differences between, for instance, using an edge sander with an abrasion pad vs. paying someone to sand blast the bike?

4. Has anyone used phosphoric acid (either applied with a sponge/gloves or as a bath) to stop progress of rust? (I've heard of BMX'ers using a much harsher chemical too .... oxalic acid.)

5. @ Judd - The link you sent may have changed during copy/paste process. Any chance you might be able to resend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tovahrovah View Post
    Thanks. I was the original emailer. Luckily, now I have a forum account. Thanks for all the helpful insight! Some follow up questions:

1. Is the Spray.bike as durable as powder coating? (Press releases on their website are making me think the product has been on market perhaps only 4 years.)
    Spray.Bike bills itself as a dry matte powder-coating, and yes, it is relatively newer in the grand scheme of things. Probably not quite as good as a professional power coating, but it's a trade-off for a relatively inexpensive DIY approach. In my experience (i.e., painting a trailercycle 2 years ago), it's seemed about as durable as my bike's original paint. A few dings here and there where I've banged the trailercycle's frame against mine when locking it up outside, but overall it's fine, even after plenty of weather experience. Cost about $30 (plus my time) for the one can of solid paint and one can of metal flake top coat. If it were a bike I'd be keeping for a while (as opposed to something she would grow out of within a year or two) I probably would've sprung for the finish coat as well to add some durability (so now we're looking at $50 for the three cans).

For a bike that you strip down to bare metal, it gets more and more expensive since you would (per their instructions) want to add a primer coat. And potentially the smoothing putty before that if there are any other imperfections you want to smooth out in advance. So it really depends what you're up for.

Post Thanks / Like

5. @ Judd - The link you sent may have changed during copy/paste process. Any chance you might be able to resend?
    Remove some extraneous spaces, percent decode, and you get this.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Remove some extraneous spaces, percent decode, and you get this.
    Thanks for cleaning up the link. Tapatalk doesn’t handle pasting URLs very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

2. Any thoughts on how to get powder coating to match the "celeste" color? Use swatches? Anyone heard of someone matching the color well? (I realize the color 'celeste' has changed over the years.) (I think Spray.bike has a "Celeste"-like color, so this is more an issue with powder coating perhaps. I know auto body shops have machines that can color match for *wet* touch-up paint.)

3. Any performance (paint adhesion) differences between, for instance, using an edge sander with an abrasion pad vs. paying someone to sand blast the bike?

4. Has anyone used phosphoric acid (either applied with a sponge/gloves or as a bath) to stop progress of rust? (I've heard of BMX'ers using a much harsher chemical too .... oxalic acid.)

1. Probably not.

2. No, but maybe you could have the bike powder-coated gloss white or gloss black and use celeste replacement decals, cable housing, bar tape, etc., as accents. Those are pretty easy to find.

3. I have no experience with edge sanders or media-blasting, but I think all the prep that happens after those steps could matter just as much, like how clean is the surface, was a primer used, how skillfully was the topcoat applied. I would guess that Spray.Bike could look quite good with practice, and careful prep work, even on bikes where the existing paint was just scuffed up a bit and and coated with a thin layer of primer.

4. I have used Evaporust and can recommend that for DIY rust removal. It's practically non-toxic and so easier and safer to use than a corrosive like CLR or naval jelly. You can saturate a few rags with the stuff and wrap them around the frame for a day or two, with plastic wrap over top that. Evaporust will make cleaning and sanding more productive, though it won't do that work for you; it's not sand-blasting in a bottle, for sure. You'll really want to scrub and wash the bike several times.

FWIW, I rattle-canned a 1970s Raleigh Grand Prix about 15 years ago. Prep consisted of washing the frame, sanding off specks of surface rust and old decals by hand, washing it again, then wiping it with a tack cloth before spraying. I took my time so turned out OK. But also, I knew I couldn't make it look great, so I didn't try. I painted it primer gray with a clear coat, to communicate the important thing about the bike was its function. Unfortunately, being an old Raleigh with a worn out, proprietary-sized headset and bottom bracket, it didn't function very well, and I traded the frame for parts a short time later

Whatever way you go, consider spraying the inside of the frame with Boeshield or FrameSaver, and drilling a hole in the bottom bracket shell if it lacks one.

Good luck, and post some before and after pics!

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

For matching the Bianchi Celeste color, Google tells me that the Pantone color for Bianchi Blue is 332 or 333. I've never had anything powder coated, but I would imagine that a powder coater would be able to match pantone colors. It also appears that you can buy spray paints mixed to specific pantone colors: https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint...tone-pms-332-c

If you end up redoing the paint, please do post results to the forum for the next person considering a paint job.