Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repainting Frames

Post Thanks / Like

Default Repainting Frames

I got this question via email:

"I have an old (mid 1980s Bianchi frame I'm looking to save. Do you happen to know any businesses in the area that help repaint metal bicycles (e.g., sand blast, powder coat)?"

Any advice? I have never done this.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like

I powder coated a frame at a industrial place in Manassas, probably 10 or 15 years ago. They did an ok job. I think they missed a spot, and were a little overzealous on some of the holes, but the price was low. Not too many choices of colors and won't do anything fancy, but very practical and durable.

Another frame I had painted I sent off to a mail-order place. Price was right, but the quality wasn't so great. The paint started bubbling within a couple of years.

When I decided to repaint that frame again, I found a guy in Richmond who paints for a hobby. He had a little shed in the back that he converted to a shop. He used automotive paint, and I told him to choose a color and surprise me. I was pleased with the result (see photo). If you're interested in him, let me know and I'll dig out his name.

Name:  IMG_0325.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  20.5 KB

3. Likes Judd, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If this person wants to try DIY, I recently discovered that Squid Bikes sells their paints for amateur and pro use: https://spraybike.us/

If you've never heard of or seen a Squid bike, their paint jobs are craaaaaaazy cool: https://www.instagram.com/squidbikes/

5. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    If this person wants to try DIY, I recently discovered that Squid Bikes sells their paints for amateur and pro use: https://spraybike.us/

If you've never heard of or seen a Squid bike, their paint jobs are craaaaaaazy cool: https://www.instagram.com/squidbikes/
    Came here to say this. I believe LhasaCM may have spray painted his daughterís bike with this before. I seem to recall that he painted over the old paint which is what SprayBike recommends.

I previously stripped a steel frame with paint stripper and then spray painted it with Krylon. I recommend suspending the parts from a coat hangar to access all the sides of it more easily and get an even coat.

I seem to recall hozn painting one of his kidís bikes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was able to find hoznís thread. Itís here:

http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewashingtonareabikeforum%2Ecom%2 Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D139885&share_type=t&link_sou rce=app

He said he got the paint done at NOVA Powdercoat in Chantilly for $120. Appears that their name now is NV Coatings and their website is nvcoatings.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was the original person who asked H.D. the question by email. Now I've joined the forum. (@ H.D. - Thanks!) For context, the bike's a mid-1980's Biancha frame (beautiful steel lugs, but sadly, it's manufactured in Japan, not Italy). I think it's a Brava model, but not enough decal survives to be sure, and I've not yet asked the expert on BikeForums.net based on the serial number on the BB. It's not in great shape paint/rust-wise, but I want to save it.

Some follow up questions:

1. I was familiar with the Spray.Bike product -- from other online fora. Has anyone ever used Spray.bike or known anyone who's used it? As durable as powder coating? While powder coating is a comparatively expensive and complicated process, I'd prefer to not have to strip down the frame again any time soon.

2. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get close to one of Bianchi's "celeste" colors with the powder coating process? Know anyone that's ever done it? (I recognize the shade of this color is a moving target over the last century.)

3. Anyone had an experience using phosphoric acid to arrest rust? (It's an active ingredient in both Naval Jelly and Coca Cola.) Just want to do a sanity check, before moving forward.

My current thought is I can either pay someone to sandblast the frame or use a edge grinder to remove paint, bathe the frame in phosphoric acid to make sure there are no remaining, unseen rust spots, and then either powder coat or try this Spray.Bike product.

Really appreciate your collective wisdom & advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post

Name:  IMG_0325.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  20.5 KB
    That's a beautiful bike/color. It's rare that "surprise me" works out so well.

The guy in Roanoke who built my custom steel bike actually shipped the frame to Colorado for painting because he was not happy with local results. We weren't happy with the results from Colorado either. Paint flakes off way too easily, and I ran out of one touch-up bottle within a couple of years. I had no idea that properly painting a bike frame would be so challenging.

Post Thanks / Like

This product looks really interesting and I'd give it a try if it were my frame. Apparently, this stuff doesn't run or spatter, which are the main issues with rattle-can paint jobs.

For me, a mid-80s Bianchi that needs to be saved wouldn't need a paint job that requires shipping and costs several times the frame's market value. If it had sentimental value I'd probably just clean it up and keep it as original as I could.

FWIW, I've rattle-canned a few items in the last month, and I've been pretty pleased with the results. No bikes, but a rusty Snap-On tool chest rescued from the neighbor's trash, a homebrewed truing stand, and some plastic fenders for an upcoming build. For the toolbox I used a two-part automotive clearcoat from Eastwood. It worked pretty well and has a better spray nozzle than the Rustoleum cans I used for the color coat. Like all paint jobs it's the preparation that matters the most.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Came here to say this. I believe LhasaCM may have spray painted his daughter’s bike with this before. I seem to recall that he painted over the old paint which is what SprayBike recommends.
    You remember correctly - I used it to change the trailercycle from green to her preferred blue, with some metal flake thrown in for extra zing. I painted over the old paint, though I did go over it with a fine grit wet sand per the instructions. It turned out pretty darn well, especially given my general lack of patience and not always following instructions in spraying the proper distance away from the frame (too close and it ran a bit - especially the metal flake top coat), and in my experience, worked much better (and was more forgiving) than a normal spray paint from the local hardware store. For a DIY project such as ours, it was the perfect solution.

13. Likes drevil, Judd liked this post