Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Presidents on Bikes

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Presidents on Bikes

Many on the forum have been on one of my Presidential History Bike Rides and know I love both historical trivia and bikes. After seeing Biden riding a bike in Rehoboth on Saturday, I started looking into Presidents and their relationship with bikes.

I put together a thread on Twitter thatís gotten a lot of attention by bike Twitter and thankfully hasnít quite caught the attention of the MAGA and neo-Nazi crowd yet. This was quick google research without a lot of validation so buyer beware. I know if two errors: I erroneously stated FDR suffered from polio in childhood. It actually occurred during adulthood. Also the picture of JFK on a bike was photoshopped. Itís actually Sean Connery with JFKís head.

https://twitter.com/juddlumberjack/s...685446659?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sad that you didn't include George Washington and how he invented the Mt Vernon trail so he could bike from home to do laps at Hains Point. Otherwise, I love it man, thank you for doing the research.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I'm sad that you didn't include George Washington and how he invented the Mt Vernon trail so he could bike from home to do laps at Hains Point. Otherwise, I love it man, thank you for doing the research.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" -- Abraham Lincoln

4. Likes Starduster, kwarkentien, dbehrend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    This is absolutely true.

6. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Twitter thread, Judd! I enjoyed that.

FYI, I don't know if Gerald Ford rode a bike while living in Alexandria, but his kids biked around the neighborhood and had fond memories of doing so: https://www.alexandriava.gov/histori....aspx?id=29392.

8. Likes LhasaCM, Judd, kwarkentien, dbehrend, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That thread is amazing. Great work Judd. I learned alot, and it was a ton of fun to read!!!

10. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post

FYI, I don't know if Gerald Ford rode a bike while living in Alexandria, but his kids biked around the neighborhood and had fond memories of doing so: https://www.alexandriava.gov/histori....aspx?id=29392.
    Sweet! I tacked this on to the thread. Interesting to read that he and Nixon lived in Park Fairfax. Iíll have to see if thereís enough online to do an Alexandria Presidential Homes bike ride.

12. Likes Starduster, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Many on the forum have been on one of my Presidential History Bike Rides and know I love both historical trivia and bikes. After seeing Biden riding a bike in Rehoboth on Saturday, I started looking into Presidents and their relationship with bikes.

I put together a thread on Twitter thatís gotten a lot of attention by bike Twitter and thankfully hasnít quite caught the attention of the MAGA and neo-Nazi crowd yet. This was quick google research without a lot of validation so buyer beware. I know if two errors: I erroneously stated FDR suffered from polio in childhood. It actually occurred during adulthood. Also the picture of JFK on a bike was photoshopped. Itís actually Sean Connery with JFKís head.

https://twitter.com/juddlumberjack/s...685446659?s=21

Judd: There is one more picture from George W.'s time as President- riding with Lance, before Armstrong fell from grace. I believe 2005. Name:  President_George_Bush_and_2005_Tour_de_France_winner_Lance_Armstrong_take_a_ride_together.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  68.6 KB Of course there was a Texas connection, besides the bike...

Some of us remember that Mike Hamannwright from Revolution Cycles wound up being the bicycling outfitter to the President during those years.
    Last edited by Starduster; 08-10-2020 at 04:54 PM.

14. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post

And during Freezing Saddles 2014 Best FS Game Ever - Find the Founding Fathers, I actually rode out to his house on a cold, dark night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    And during Freezing Saddles 2014 Best FS Game Ever - Find the Founding Fathers, I actually rode out to his house on a cold, dark night.
    Which one? He lived in Parkfairfax on Mount Eagle Place early in his career as a member of the House and then he lived on Crown View Drive off Janneys Lane up until he became President.