Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July 2020 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Four Mile Run Trail where it passes under one of the Glebes (W. Glebe, specifically) to the east of 395 is a bit of pond after last night's downpour. I bet the drain(s) are clogged; there previously was a lot of debris in that area in recent days. A personal flotation device may be advised. Or blow through the pond going fast and get a free shower.

Post Thanks / Like

Beware of falling limbs/trees

Tree down across Custis between N Nelson and N Monroe (by the ponds). Can go around on grassy area. I reported it to the County.

At about 9:20am Sunday morning a tree fell on 4MRT a little south/east of the Carlin Springs Rd. underpass and parking lot. It might be gone now, but I do not know. I reported it this morning, just in case no one else did. This was a tree that looked healthy. There was no wind to speak of. It was hot. There was a loud crack then a boom, some other sounds and a second boom as it took out several other trees. No one was hurt, but a pedestrian was freaked out as she had just passed under the tree, heard the cracking, turned around and watched it come down. One can go down and around it, but watch for poison ivy (unless one takes the more well used desire path) and there is a lot of sand, so riding through it tough to impossible. I have heard of summer (or sudden) limb drop, but not summer tree drop, but this looked the other cases of summer limb drop.

This morning I saw several other tree limbs on the ground on my morning ride, often streets and yards. I think this weather is having a big affect on the trees. Keep an ear open when cycling to listen for the telltale crack of a tree limb to avoid these.

3. Likes Steve O liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Chain Bridge Road Access Blocked this Week. It's not clear yet whether pedestrian access to Chain Bridge will also be blocked (Maybe Henry could ask DES?)

UPDATE from DES "The pedestrian and cyclist portions of the bridge ought to remain open, barring any unexpected developments during the project."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 11.29.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	21577
    Last edited by rcannon100; 07-20-2020 at 12:04 PM.

5. Likes Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trammel Rd. in the Merrifield-Annandale area had several downed trees and power lines this morning. I expect repairs will take the better part of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Wet ride home tonight, tree down on the Rock Creek trail by the Kennedy Center under Roosevelt bridge, and another tree is down on the path around the East side of Arlington Cemetery by the bike counter (hope it’s alright). You can walk around them.
    Last edited by Dewey; 07-22-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This morning I biked Custis to MVT to 4MRT with bits of W&OD (I stick to 4MRT) overall report is good.
    - General debris on all trails, rarely bad
    - Scattered porta-potties at Gravely Point
    - All fords on 4MRT clear
    - Trail work was being set-up on 4MRT along S Arlington Mill with the detour on S Arlington Mill road and set-up properly (at the trail entrances, rather than at the work location
    - Large branch on half of trail on Custis between W&OD and the blocked region under I-66 (reporting this)

Yes, I said scattered porta-potties. They appeared this week again (yesterday morning? Tuesday morning? I do not recall). None were upright and most were across the trail and headed down hill. Surprisingly, all smelled fine - not used enough yet or fell then got rained on?

9. Likes secstate, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    This morning I biked Custis to MVT to 4MRT with bits of W&OD (I stick to 4MRT) overall report is good.
    - Scattered porta-potties at Gravely Point
    - Trail work was being set-up on 4MRT along S Arlington Mill with the detour on S Arlington Mill road and set-up properly (at the trail entrances, rather than at the work location
    - Large branch on half of trail on Custis between W&OD and the blocked region under I-66 (reporting this)
    Update from the past few mornings:
    - They fixed the scattered porta-potties quickly (I am curious if they are anchored or weighted down better now. I wonder how much wind today's storms will bring....)
    - They finished the trail work - that was the small section near the garden apartments (condos?) that was kind of broken up and falling into the drainage. It looks great!
    - Branch is still there but marked with yellow tape, so I guess other items were high priority (and one could go around this, so I agree that it wasn't high priority)