Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 2020 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 2020 Road and Trail Conditions

On Arlington's Four Mile Run Trail, esp. through Barcroft Park, has lots of storm debris, Use Caution. Many fords/bridges in lower stream bed still have water running over at 8am.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like

Adding to Henry's report:
    I biked the Arlington Loop this morning – Custis to MVT to 4MRT/W&OD. There is a lot of debris around, the worst under Glebe on 4MRT, but a lot of mud under George Mason Dr on Custis and Wilson Blvd on W&OD. There is a very low tree/branch on MVT South of the rail road bridge at the north end of the Gravely Point; I walked under it, I think a recumbent bike did too, there is a lot of mud off the trail for those going that way. Most of the fords on 4MRT are flooded (this was between 7:45am and 8am, so later in the day they will likely clear, but might be muddy/debris filled. No major standing water.
    The new path by the new apartments on 4MRT on Glebe between MT Vernon Ave and S Meade St was covered in clumps of the wood mulch they put in. That clearly was not a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Roosevelt bridge side path is getting narrower, eek! The short straight before/after the path curves down to Roosevelt Island is currently half blocked by encroaching tree/poison ivy/kudzu/greenery. To whom should I report the problem and ask to chop back the vegetation, DDOT? NPS?

Post Thanks / Like

Per the sticky at the top of this Forum Topic:

Here's a quick contact info reference for the National Park Service if you have any questions concerning the Mount Vernon Trail/G.W. Parkway:

Phone: 703-419-6400 (Division of Maintenance) 703-289-2500 (Visitor Information line)

Web: http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/index.htm

Email: GWMP_Superintendent@nps.gov

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NPSGWMP

Twitter: http://twitter.com/NPSGWMP

5. Likes Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Roosevelt bridge side path is getting narrower, eek! The short straight before/after the path curves down to Roosevelt Island is currently half blocked by encroaching tree/poison ivy/kudzu/greenery. To whom should I report the problem and ask to chop back the vegetation, DDOT? NPS?
    I did this through 311 last year (I think; maybe the year before?) when one of the trees kind of fell over the path, leaving a tunnel with poison ivy at the end. They came out and cleared it eventually.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Per the sticky at the top of this Forum Topic:

Here's a quick contact info reference for the National Park Service if you have any questions concerning the Mount Vernon Trail/G.W. Parkway:

Phone: 703-419-6400 (Division of Maintenance) 703-289-2500 (Visitor Information line)

Web: http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/index.htm

Email: GWMP_Superintendent@nps.gov

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NPSGWMP

Twitter: http://twitter.com/NPSGWMP
    Emailing the superintendent is the best way. That's how last year's tunnel was cleared (sorry husker)

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on foot; the section of the Holmes Run Trail in Alexandria under the railroad bridge (near Eisenhower Ave) was loaded up with sand and sediment following the rains earlier this week. A small kid wiped out on his bike, fortunately it was at slow speeds, and the sand was thick!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post
    Saw this on foot; the section of the Holmes Run Trail in Alexandria under the railroad bridge (near Eisenhower Ave) was loaded up with sand and sediment following the rains earlier this week. A small kid wiped out on his bike, fortunately it was at slow speeds, and the sand was thick!
    That was reported to the city yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8DF84F73-BF69-4574-A05D-693FF462E904.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	21564
    Before the city cleaned it up.

When I rode through this morning around 10, it had been cleaned up.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 07-09-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

10. Likes kwarkentien, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    That was reported to the city yesterday.
    When I rode through this morning around 10, it had been cleaned up.
    Has there been any talk about building some protection there? IMO the City has done better the last couple years about keeping this troublesome section clear, but it seems to be an idea place for either a wall to reduce sediment flow over the trail or replacing that segment with a bridge under the RR bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Has there been any talk about building some protection there? IMO the City has done better the last couple years about keeping this troublesome section clear, but it seems to be an idea place for either a wall to reduce sediment flow over the trail or replacing that segment with a bridge under the RR bridge.
    I have not heard of any plans for redoing this section of the trail. Of course, that doesn't mean that various city departments haven't had internal discussions about it. There is also the issue of repairing the more than $6 million dollars worth of flood damage upstream from this location that still needs to be addressed.

The city has been responsive in cleaning this section of the trail after flooding and sometimes gets it cleaned up before a work ticket gets submitted.