Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a bike for my wife

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a bike for my wife

So my wife's derailleur exploded yesterday.

Name:  IMG_20200629_192338226.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  98.0 KB

I think the hanger was a bit bent and the derailleur was a little close to the wheel - when she downshifted it hit the wheel, broke a few spokes, and now we have what you see here. I have long disliked her bike - the build quality on the Linus is mediocre at best.

I want to build a bike for her with similar geometry but a better frame. Her bike is a Linus Roadster. Suggestions? I think the geometry on the Linus is pretty standard, then it has the swept back handlebars. But they don't list the specs online - I may just have to go measure it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like(d) my other Surlys (Karate Monkey, Cross Check, and Steamroller). They're a little heavy, but not too expensive. I've never seen one in person, but have you checked out the Bridge Club? It's one I'd consider if I was looking for a decent city bike.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/bridge_club

3. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I came across the Bridge Club at almost exactly the moment you were typing this post. I have another browser window open to the frame geometry right now

5. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bringing this thread back up - we ended up replacing the derailleur. Bike shop was able to save the wheel. And then we got rear-ended while driving with the bikes on the back and that was it for the Linus. After waiting forever, Bicycle Space finally got us a beautiful blue Bridge Club.

Now I'm looking for a rear rack. Anyone have recommendations? I figured there would be a way to look up racks by fit (I have a disc Bridge Club, what rack can I get) but if that exists I haven't seen it.

7. Likes drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That can happen to any bike. $10,000 to $400 job from WalMart. I had it happen on my very expensive Specialized. If you accidentally bang the derailleur it can bend the derailleur hanger and then when the chain is on the top of the cassette it hits a spoke and bam, its over. Lucky if you don't wreck, let alone have any hope of saving the wheel. When I lube up my chain I take a second to look at the hanger from behind to see if somehow it has bent.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take a look at Handsome Cycles out of Minneapolis. I love my Devil and it's been going strong for years.

https://handsomecycles.com/products/she-devil

10. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    I would take a look at Handsome Cycles out of Minneapolis. I love my Devil and it's been going strong for years.
    Good looking bike.

12. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Bringing this thread back up - we ended up replacing the derailleur. Bike shop was able to save the wheel. And then we got rear-ended while driving with the bikes on the back and that was it for the Linus. After waiting forever, Bicycle Space finally got us a beautiful blue Bridge Club.

Now I'm looking for a rear rack. Anyone have recommendations? I figured there would be a way to look up racks by fit (I have a disc Bridge Club, what rack can I get) but if that exists I haven't seen it.
    If you're still looking for a trunk rack, I have a Thule you can have. It's pretty adjustable and worked for Subaru Impreza, Honda Fit, and a Subaru Crosstrek. Was able to get it to work with a couple of odd mountain bike designs, but honestly no idea on that Bridge Club.

It's in good shape but we got hitch racks and haven't looked back. PM me if interested. Free if you pick up, or I would meet somewhere inside the beltway in VA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    If you're still looking for a trunk rack, I have a Thule you can have. It's pretty adjustable and worked for Subaru Impreza, Honda Fit, and a Subaru Crosstrek. Was able to get it to work with a couple of odd mountain bike designs, but honestly no idea on that Bridge Club.

It's in good shape but we got hitch racks and haven't looked back. PM me if interested. Free if you pick up, or I would meet somewhere inside the beltway in VA.
    I think jrenaut's looking for a rack that mounts to the rear of the bike to carry stuff on the bike, rather than carry bikes on the car. I really wish there were separate terms for these two items, it makes searching listings hard.

15. Likes jrenaut, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, on reread, could be. I thought that since he had been rear-ended, the car rack had been damaged or destroyed.

17. Likes josh liked this post