Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detour under Memorial Bridge on Mt. Vernon Trail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Coming from Roosevelt Island direction makes for a long backtrack.
    Needs signage all the way back at IOD. TR Bridge is the only legal trail access point between there and Mem Bridge. A diversion across the TR Bridge would lengthen the necessary detour, even if measured starting from Trollheim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    So will there be signage?
    If someone is riding along the MVT at night, will they know long before they get to Memorial Bridge that they need to have already detoured? Or will they get to the bridge and have to backtrack? Coming from Roosevelt Island direction makes for a long backtrack.

I hope they don't use the excuse, "People shouldn't be on the trail then anyway."
    As per the actual NPS pamphlet:
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    So, it's OK to use the "closed" trail between 10 pm and 6 am, but only if you're a "commuter."

You have to wonder about the Park Service sometimes. The official regulations for the C&O Trail say that audible warning must be given "100 feet" before passing other users. At 15 mph (or 22 feet per second, the NPS's speed limit) if takes over 4 seconds to cover 100 feet. Dinging the bell or bellowing "on your left" 4-5 seconds before overtaking would not be very effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    The official regulations for the C&O Trail say that audible warning must be given "100 feet" before passing other users. At 15 mph (or 22 feet per second, the NPS's speed limit) if takes over 4 seconds to cover 100 feet. Dinging the bell or bellowing "on your left" 4-5 seconds before overtaking would not be very effective.
    Why not?

I like to give plenty of warning before I overtake another trail user (granted, this was in the before times, when I actually rode on a trail). You can give another warning as you are closer, if the other trail user does not hear you or acknowledge you. Easy-peasy.

4. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are situations where it is not even possible to produce a vocal warning audible at 100 feet. Consider a loud environment (like the 14th Street Bridge) on a day with a strong headwind.