Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to road bikes and wondering between two

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to road bikes and wondering between two

http://www.orbea.com/us-us/bicis/mod.../#presentacion

or

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2012/S2/

Any thoughts? They are both in relatively the same price range. They just caught my eye, because I like their "look". Originally I had wanted to purchase a "semi-used" bike (56 cm) for under $1000 and ride that for 6-months and then purchase something very nice, but I just haven't had any luck finding something decent. Usually they are priced only a few hundred dollars below what a brand new one would cost, so no point. Thanks in advance for any tips. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ridden both?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

While these bikes are not particularly in my comfort zone (Steel is Real!), one way to save cash may be to go to online retailers. Buying online requires some minimal technical competence by the customer. That said, I'm happy with the touring bike I got from Nashbar and saved roughly 40% from comparable retail.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't laugh, but I have never rode a Road bike, only Mountain Bikes, as that is what I have been doing for the past 2-years. As mentioned before this was he reason I was trying to avoid buying a brand new Road bike, but haven't had any luck finding a good starter. Again, just looking at this two, because I like the "look". I don't know much about the technical(s) of a bike. Therefore I can't check out a bike online and read the components and understand anything. Furthermore if I ordered online it would require assembly, and I am sure I could not assemble a bike.

I'd like to just know which bike in your opinion is the most bike for my buck. Either from the two I listed, or any other products in your mind. Thanks.

P.S. as far as the frame, Steel isn't for me. I would like to stick to Full carbon or Alu/Carbon forks if the deal is good. Wouldn't go below Carbon and not spending 10k on Titanium.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You should really find a shop that has them so you can try them out. The bike that I loved online just didn't fit me at all when I actually rode it.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, fit is king. Bike shops are good at helping you find the best fit. Many even include a fit in the purchase of the bike. I'd recommend finding the LBS's (local bike shops) that are most convenient to your life. Most also include a year of service with a new bike, and you'll definitely need to take it in after a month or two to have cables tightened. Any good LBS can explain to you what you're paying for in the various levels of frames and components. You may be able to get exactly the same thing cheaper online, but you won't get the advice, fit and service. For me, it was totally worth buying local, and I'm super cheap.

From experience, I can recommend CycleLife and Bicycle Pro Shop, both in Georgetown. All else equal, Cyclelife is a little more newby friendly, BPS more old school bike shop (crowded with bikes, racers consistently coming through). Both are great, and I think carry different brands.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

And good luck. Those are nice bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

All sound advice, especially to let fit be the deciding factor and to go with a very "local" local bike shop. I would visit several. Take advantage of test rides as you have not been on a road bike before, just to get a sense of handling.

You mentioned that you ride a mountain bike already; if you have a relationship with a bike shop for your mountain bike you might ask there what they recommend.

Liz

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuantFail View Post
    Don't laugh, but I have never rode a Road bike, only Mountain Bikes, as that is what I have been doing for the past 2-years. As mentioned before this was he reason I was trying to avoid buying a brand new Road bike, but haven't had any luck finding a good starter. Again, just looking at this two, because I like the "look".
    I agree with everyone regarding going to an LBS and the importance of fit. That said, before picking a particular bike, you should ask yourself how and why you are likely to ride it. Perhaps those bikes are appropriate, but the above quote suggests that you may have narrowed your choices a bit too quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

And remember, if you find a bike that you love, but hate the way it looks you can always get it repainted if it means that much to you.

I posted this last month, but this my "before" and "after" : http://www.flickr.com/photos/timkell...th/6670059731/