Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capital Bikeshare Trip History Data -- Results Roundup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capital Bikeshare Trip History Data -- Results Roundup

Hey everyone and welcome to the forum,

In late 2011, Daniel Gohlke of CaBiTracker.com, Tom Fairchild of Arlington's Mobility Lab, and I got Capital Bikeshare to agree to release a data set containing anonymous trip history data. At the beginning of 2012, they released data covering 2010 and 2011, about 14 months of the system's history (it was launched on September 20, 2010). This made CaBi the second system to release trip history data, after London's TFL. (Boston has recently released two days of data).

People have been publishing their analysis of this data all over the web, and I wanted to bring together in a single place some of the analyses that have been done, and some data sources so you all can do more. I've tried to be comprehensive but have missed a few things -- go ahead and add them in comments!

Everyone is credited by name, if I could find it, or username if I couldn't.

-- Matt Caywood

Data

Analysis

Corey Holman on Greater Greater Washington was the first to dive into the data.

Many others jumped in shortly after:

Finally, Justin Antos (JDAntos) has done a lot of pro work, and has written an (ongoing) series of posts about his results.

Discussion threads of interest

2. Likes PotomacCyclist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, I've put together a few more visualizations on this:
    -The "balanced-ness" of the system - net trips sent/(received): here and here
    -Some maps showing where the casual users are, length of trip, and "balanced-ness" by stations here

Post Thanks / Like

Default P.S.

Does anyone have change in elevation, and distance between stations?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Justin, Corey's flat.csv file (linked above) has trip elevation changes and Euclidean distances.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rebalancing trips are not included in trip data

I just received clarification from CaBi that rebalancing trips are excluded from the trip data.

Bikes are "ghosted" by the service techs' keys and are not recorded in the trip database.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycling is the fastest way to travel in downtown DC

I've posted the results of a trip data analysis showing how bicycling speed compares to other modes, based on a sample of station pairs at Greater Greater Washington.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my own visualization: Looking at CaBi Stats with a Bubble Map.

I went through 3 iterations while writing the code, so the data started making my head spin - holler if anything looks amiss.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another project from the cabi data: A Day in the Life of Capital Bikeshare. Please check to see if the data looks right... Does it make sense there are no CaBi trips on this November Sunday in the Rosslyn corridor? I'll make another movie for a weekday when the new quarter comes in. Also, does it sound right that so many people return their cabi bikes to the same station? 63% for casual riders, and 32% for registered???

Post Thanks / Like

Got a couple of new CaBi movies... latest animated CaBi data from March 23, 2012: Animating a Busy Day for Capital Bikeshare