Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding in tomorrow 2/1/2012 Fairfax to DC anyone want to come?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Riding in tomorrow 2/1/2012 Fairfax to DC anyone want to come?

I am a regular bike commuter (usually bike to rail, rail to city, CaBi to work) but I try to ride the whole 25+ mi in once and a while. I will be leaving my house between 5:30-6 tomorrow morning I can meet up with anyone who wants to join me at the University Mall in Fairfax at say 5:45 ( or anywhere else along my route). If anyone is interested in commuting from Fairfax to DC but didn't want to go it alone send me an email (essigmw@yahoo.com). My normal route is through GMU, surface streets through FX, Old Lee Highway to the FX Circle, then the FX connector trail to the W&OD trail to the Custis Trail to the MVT and over the 14th street bridge to SW DC. I cross over to SE DC on Eye Street and finish up at the Navy Yard. Any takers.

Mike

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll wave as you go by my house since I'll be starting out 15 to 20 minutes after you pass by. Should be a great morning for a ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by essigmw View Post
    and over the 14th street bridge to SW DC. I cross over to SE DC on Eye Street and finish up at the Navy Yard. Any takers.
    That's several hours too late for me, but why I Street and not M Street? Other than cars turning down 4th Street SE to Fort McNair, is it that bad at that hour? I went in late once, around 6:00 a.m. and I didn't think it was too bad.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome of you to offer Mike! I'm on the W&OD/Custis usually between 6am and 7am. If you see a big purple bike, give a holler! I hope you get some lurkers to ride in with you!

Post Thanks / Like

@5555624 I like the pace of Eye street, plus I feel a little safer with the bike lanes. I jump on M after NJ to head down to the yard.

@americancyclo I'll be in red and black (like just about half of the other bikers out there).

May leave earlier than normal to avoid the chance for later morning showers.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is raining, I'll be on the cargo bike tomorrow. If you see something huge that makes you want to honk your horn, that is probably me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    If it is raining, I'll be on the cargo bike tomorrow. If you see something huge that makes you want to honk your horn, that is probably me.
    I didn't know you drove an Escalade.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

So Dirt, was it the Big Dummy this morning? The rain ended just as I was heading down the W&OD. What a nice morning to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I wimped, but thanks for inspiration!

I admit to having read this yesterday, and wimping out. I thought about commuting in from Manassas via the steel stead (I've managed it before), but the "not today" excuse won. I should be in Ffx by 5:30 or 6. One of these days...

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

too wet this morning for my tastes. at least until i clean up the bike from the last time I rode in the rain.