Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Specialized Prevail helmet crash test

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouthport is the Specialized marketing term for the large horizontal opening that goes across the forehead. I think they were the first to produce a helmet with that design. Greatly helps with keeping the head cool but obviously provides less protection for impacts to that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this information. I learned something new today. Not bad for an old fart.

Thanks

3. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Note, the CPSC and Snell recommend replacing helmets after 5 years: https://thewirecutter.com/blog/when-...r-bike-helmet/
    Our own Randy Swart does helmet safety for a living, and has his own assessments: https://www.helmets.org/index.htm

5. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks y'all. Fortunately Consumer Reports and VA Tech both name the Brontrager Spectra Wavecell as one of their top picks for crash protection (low and high impact). Time will tell if ventilation is an issue but thus far it's been a great helmet.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion to use glue was for cosmetic damage, which the lower part clearly was, since it wasn't enforced with Kavlar. I wouldn't suggest gluing a broken helmet together, that is not safe, although I didn't make that clear. If you want to see if a helmet has a good fit, wear it, then slap it right and left. If it wiggles, then there is extra room in there, and perhaps it's too large. I am not sure if it's a factor, but I think that if you fall, your head would hit the foam at a speed, which could cause problems in and of itself. I am not sure what the studies out there say about that, but I prefer no wiggle room.