Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Rides

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    The Kill Bill Century that Dirt put together. It's a modification of the PPTC Kill Bill Ride. 100 miles and 10,000 ft of climbing. gps track. It appears around page 7 or 8 of the Arlington's toughest hills list thread. I missed out this past fall, but I'm keeping an eye out for the next running of it this year.
    That ride will return for 2012. Honestly, I'm not sure I even need to change the route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I've only done the Backroads Century (last year) and I thought it was mostly awesome (my first century). It does take awhile to get out there though.
    Thanks for the chuckle. I only live 10 miles further west and come into DC. I (seriously) love catching references to how gawdawful far we are from civilization

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    That ride will return for 2012. Honestly, I'm not sure I even need to change the route.

Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Thanks for the chuckle. I only live 10 miles further west and come into DC. I (seriously) love catching references to how gawdawful far we are from civilization
    I'm amazed at how far you ride! But I (seriously) don't like driving early in the morning, or after riding 100 mi. My wife has family in WV so we're out around Winchester a fair bit but on that day I think I bonked some way into the return drive and it seemed to take hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I'm considering the Air Force Cycling Challenge Crystal Ride (up to 100km) and the Reston Century this year amongst others but I really don't want to pay for a group ride on the W&OD.
    In defense of the Reston century, the full 100-mile route gets you more time on roads and off the trail, and I've heard it's quite challenging. I've only done the metric, since I no longer have interest in full centuries.

And even the shorter route was worth doing once, since I plan to use parts of the cue sheet to add variety to my solo WOD rides.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    In defense of the Reston century, the full 100-mile route gets you more time on roads and off the trail, and I've heard it's quite challenging. I've only done the metric, since I no longer have interest in full centuries.

And even the shorter route was worth doing once, since I plan to use parts of the cue sheet to add variety to my solo WOD rides.
    What she said, and I've done the full imperial century four times. It gets modified a little each year so there is always something new.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

PPTC's February Pedal Patter has a listing of local metric and imperial century rides from now until October. It's not exhaustive, but is a good starting point. I got my printed copy yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be up on their website yet.

I also am waiting for a reprise of the Kill Bill Century since I bailed on the last one at the metric century mark.

Post Thanks / Like

WABA announced the 2012 Vasa Ride for March 4th, with warm blueberry soup after the ride at the House of Sweden in Georgetown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    We have alot in common. I also recall lots of roads in the Reston Century (most seemed to be going up hills) and I also have less interest in full centuries than I once did.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just committed to riding two more centuries before September.

2012 Reston Century - Aug 26 - anyone else on the forum riding this one? I'm gonna ride from my house and tack on an extra 10 miles each way.

2012 Peak Season Century - Oct 6 - with a bunch of friends in upstate NY. Doubt anyone from here is going, but felt compelled to list it anyway

Post Thanks / Like

This one might make it on the schedule this year: http://www.alpineloopgranfondo.com/