Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Rear-Ender on GWP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Rear-Ender on GWP

About 4:45pm I crossed the George Washington Parkway at the Memorial Bridge. There was a stopped police car and two smashed cars off the road. Looks like somebody stopped for a biker or pedestrian and got rear-ended for her trouble.

How many of these kinds of accidents is it going to take before they add some kind of signal that crossers can activate?

Post Thanks / Like

That highway terrifies me as both a cyclist and motorist.

Post Thanks / Like

They were still there at 5:20 or so, looked like a pretty solid collision. I've been extra, super careful to dismount before crossing, contributory negligence sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

I was crossing Lynn St. in Rosslyn this morning to get over to the Key Bridge. I had the signal and a car that was turning right towards the bridge stopped to wait for me (I had the signal). They almost got rear-ended and then the offending vehicle laid on the horn in the off-chance he hadn't won ass-clown of the morning already.

No point to this story really, but its amazing how much more aware I am of my surroundings when I bike or run in.

Post Thanks / Like

I cross GW @ MemBr daily. I've started gliding to a stop well back from the crosswalk (about 30-50 feet back) rather than pull right up to the road way. I figure I can see gaps better and approach when it's safest for cars to yield to me. But you know what? Even that far back cars yield to the crosswalk to let me cross. In fact, they seem to do it more reliably than when I pull right up to the crosswalk.

My guess is that I'm in a better spot in the drivers' cone of vision. Not only does the first car see me, but the 2nd and 3rd cars too.

This works best inbound in the a.m.: I have space to hang that far back and a.m. cars are commuters (they're almost all in their normal routines and know about the crosswalk). P.M. not so much: only about 15 feet of space so no room to hang back 30-50 feet and p.m. cars are a mix (commutters, errand runners, tourists, cabs, etc.) They're out of their routine, more likely to not know about the crosswalk, and are much more unreliable on their yield.

Also too, many cars double the speed limit and tailgate, so f that really. And by f I mean fix.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW the solution is to realign GW with a sharp bend which will force even the worst speeders to slow down to the speed limit. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gw realignment.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	619

Post Thanks / Like

I had to temporarily give up bicycling to work since my agency moved to a LEED building that so far at least makes it very hard to bicycle but has plenty of auto parking (thanks for letting me rant), but as someone who used to go through here every day and saw a number of accidents, I just don't like the signal to cross solution. It will probably make drivers less likely to be rear-ended, but will cost crossers a lot of time and law-breaking will be rampant. What about more communication to drivers about an upcoming crosswalk and the rules (which still aren't clear to me and I've read hundreds of comments about this intersection). When I rode through this intersection at night, I even turned my lights off to prevent the possibility of someone seeing me, stopping for me, and one of us getting hit. I'd rather just wait for a gap.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    BTW the solution is to realign GW with a sharp bend which will force even the worst speeders to slow down to the speed limit.
    I was under the impression that most of the accidents at the GW parkway crossing were at the southern most circle in my picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gwp.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	620

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    That highway terrifies me as both a cyclist and motorist.
    I second that comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I had to temporarily give up bicycling to work since my agency moved to a LEED building that so far at least makes it very hard to bicycle but has plenty of auto parking (thanks for letting me rant)
    That's my #1 complaint with LEED certification. Low-flush toilets and whatnot are fantastic, but if everyone has to drive to get there, it's far from environmentally friendly. Until they address that it's just greenwashing.