Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Lane Bridge closure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cedar Lane Bridge closure?

They're shutting down the Cedar Lane bridge over 66 starting May 15:
    http://outside.transform66.org/about...cedar_lane.asp

Anyone got any better suggestions for how to get over that patch and bike towards Vienna from that other side of 66? The marked detour seems like a really long and not particularly efficient way to go around.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the two nearest crossings are either Gallows or Nutley.

Anyone with a MTB and a sense of adventure want to see if it's possible to go under here?

Name:  bear branch.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  86.6 KB

3. Likes Boo Boo, scoot, ts986 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, crap. That's on my pandemic walking route although wider sidewalks (eventually) will be appreciated.

As far as the cycling detour, I wouldn't bike on Dorr Ave or Merrilee Ave (Merrilee Dr is ok) - both roads are covered with broken glass due to the recycling-truck-whatever-it-is on the corner across from Mr Tire. (Trust me, I live here and walk those two roads almost daily)

I'd probably take Prosperity - low traffic especially now and it's two lanes in each direction so you can take the whole lane.

The western side of the path along Gallows is busy. The eastern side is narrow and less traveled. But it's also made even more narrow by construction. Gallows is also two lanes but still has a lot of traffic and the speed limit is a joke. Do-able but maybe hustle.

5. Likes scoot, ts986 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gallows is the obvious alternative to replace most trips currently using Cedar. But if your origin and/or destination are already a bit west of the Cedar bridge (e.g. riding from Villa Lee Park to Whole Foods), you might choose the western route. If so, consider crossing at Vaden. It's not much further, and it avoids the worst aspects of the Nutley crossing (freeway ramps and poor sidewalk).

7. Likes ts986 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    If so, consider crossing at Vaden.
    The bridge over 66 on Vaden is being replaced. It was closed in October 2019 for 10 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnick View Post
    The bridge over 66 on Vaden is being replaced. It was closed in October 2019 for 10 months.
    And the official Vaden Rd ped/bike detour is the Vienna Metro station pedestrian bridge. Be sure to walk your bike. ;-)

10. Likes ts986 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Google maps, it seems that there is a secret path connecting the neighborhood to the west of Cedar Lane to Nutely, from Hargrove CT to Mears ST, but I could be wrong. Here is the area in question, and here is a SteetView showing that one entrance is paved. It could be for the houses that are there, so it may not be accessible.

Here is the path I am talking about(in RED):

12. Likes Boo Boo, Steve O, ts986 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Loving all these suggestions- I will have to experiment this weekend and see what seems like the safest.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried to see if the path I suggested is passable, but it appears that it's not. On the East side there is a no trespassing sign, and it appears that the west side is inaccessible. The East side access is probably for VDOT/Utility companies, and I saw in places heavy vegetation that would block anyone from coming through. Here is an alternative path I tried, but there is one killer hill when going west.

I have used the "side" path on the North side of Lee HWY. It's slow, but manageable.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    I just tried to see if the path I suggested is passable, but it appears that it's not. On the East side there is a no trespassing sign,
    It's just a sign? What's behind it?