Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding Bike Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Folding Bike Recommendations

Hi, all - Lately I've been comtemplating getting a folding bike to augment my commute, and would like any thoughts/suggestions on any makes or models. I take the MARC train from Laurel to Union Station, and I'm looking for a way to get in a little more riding time in the morning and evening, since MARC doesn't allow full-size bikes on the trains. I currently ride about 2-3 miles from my house to the Laurel Station, then lock up the road bike, and jump on the train for the 30 minute ride to DC, but it would be nice to be able to fold up the bike and take it with me. My office is only about 3 blocks from Union Station, but I'd still like to get in a little extra pedaling in the morning and afternoon. Not interested in spending a mortgage payment on a second bike more like under $250 if possible. Thanks ahead of time.

Don Street
    Laurel, MD
    lawguy51@comcast.net

Post Thanks / Like

Not an easy thing to find a quality folding bike in that price range. Dahon makes a model called the Boardwalk which I see on Amazon sells in that price range. Dahon makes some very nice bikes. I can't attest to this particular model though.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Pete

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried a folding bike but everyone in London, UK (where I once lived) seemed to use a Brompton (a UK brand). My impression is that they are very well built but on the heavy (and expensive) side.

Post Thanks / Like

My LBS had some on sale a while back. I'll ask tonight if they have any left and report back. But considerably more than $250 I think, even on sale, even for the single speed version.

Bike Maryland is lobbying for MARC to allow full sized bikes. That might be worth looking in to. I know they could use all the help they could get this legislative session.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a lot of ads on the internet lately for citizen folding bicycles. They look cheap. Personally, I'd look for a Dahon. I was really tempted to get one of the Dahon Mu Uno Shadow 2010 for $289 that Greenbelt posted about at Proteus.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is probably not a helpful post because of the prices, but if I were to buy a folder today it would be the Swift. http://www.swiftfolders.com/swift/Home.html Lifetime warranty on the frame.

It doesn't fold *that* small though. If I wanted a folder for smallest folding size I'd get a Brompton.

I actually got on a folding bike kick when I was on vacation recently as I got to ride around on a Strida and a Dahon-copy and had a look at some Birdy and Pacific Reach bikes in-store too. I can't justify one yet though.

I think even more than regular bicycles, you get what you pay for with a folding bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I've seen a lot of ads on the internet lately for citizen folding bicycles. They look cheap. Personally, I'd look for a Dahon. I was really tempted to get one of the Dahon Mu Uno Shadow 2010 for $289 that Greenbelt posted about at Proteus.
    I checked last night and those bikes did sell out when they went on sale.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the bike shed next to Union Station, perhaps it would be worth buying a regular size bike and leaving it parked there overnight. I believe they sell monthly and annual contracts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check with Bike Maryland to see what the latest news is.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you are still in the market for a quality folding bike at a reasonable price, but if so, check out OrigamiBicycles.com.