Likes Likes:  77
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia governor issues stay-at-home order

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
    Why not? It only took me five minutes to create and I don't even know the area. Is the general public not capable of finding routes near their homes? Is the general public not capable of using a map?
    A 30+ turn cue sheet through windy roads with no way-finding is going to be bit much for all but the most dedicated. The rest will simply continue to overwhelm the W&OD and MVT where they can simply walk or ride without having to digest a complex turn by turn map. Maybe if there was a group ride in that area the route would work, but group rides aren’t permitted now for good reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the point is that even new or less confident riders can in most cases find decent places to ride without flocking to the W&OD, Custis, 4MRT, or MVT, etc., especially in the current light traffic. This 9-mile ride kept me entirely within 2 miles of my house, involved crossing Rte. 7 only at light-controlled intersections, and didn't even hit all the neighborhood streets.

3. Likes bikesnick, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I think the point is that even new or less confident riders can in most cases find decent places to ride without flocking to the W&OD, Custis, 4MRT, or MVT, etc., especially in the current light traffic. This 9-mile ride kept me entirely within 2 miles of my house, involved crossing Rte. 7 only at light-controlled intersections, and didn't even hit all the neighborhood streets.
    Just because a on-road route exists doesn’t mean it will be used by all but a small minority. It’s a barriers to entry issue, so people are going to go with what they know or can easily find. Drawing up a neighborhood route that is safe and within someone’s skill level is a lot of work if they’ve never given thought to it. Driving down to the W&OD and going for a ride or walk takes little mental effort. This is why parks and recreational facilities should be kept open as much as safely possible - to spread people out. Even better would be to add more facilities, such as closing off all the NPS roads to vehicular traffic. Those would be easy for people to understand and absorb capacity during this period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    Just because a on-road route exists doesn’t mean it will be used by all but a small minority. It’s a barriers to entry issue, so people are going to go with what they know or can easily find. Drawing up a neighborhood route that is safe and within someone’s skill level is a lot of work if they’ve never given thought to it. Driving down to the W&OD and going for a ride or walk takes little mental effort. This is why parks and recreational facilities should be kept open as much as safely possible - to spread people out. Even better would be to add more facilities, such as closing off all the NPS roads to vehicular traffic. Those would be easy for people to understand and absorb capacity during this period.
    Or, if people can't figure out any place to ride than the W&OD, they should just not ride and take a walk instead. The parks are closing specifically because people aren't dispersing, and instead are all flocking to the same places and overcrowding them. The response shouldn't be to park as close as possible and bull-headedly try to go there anyway, it should be to take a hint and go/do something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Or, if people can't figure out any place to ride than the W&OD, they should just not ride and take a walk instead. The parks are closing specifically because people aren't dispersing, and instead are all flocking to the same places and overcrowding them. The response shouldn't be to park as close as possible and bull-headedly try to go there anyway, it should be to take a hint and go/do something else.
    The problem with some parks closing is it’s exacerbating the problem elsewhere. The better solution is to open up more spaces for people to go and be able to spread out. MVT is too crowded, shut down the GWPW to traffic so everyone can spread out. Too many people in the tidal basin, shut down Ohio Dr and Independence Ave to traffic.

7. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    The problem with some parks closing is it’s exacerbating the problem elsewhere. The better solution is to open up more spaces for people to go and be able to spread out.
    There is already plenty of room for people to spread out, even if they simply don't like the room that's available. I don't understand your apparent fixation on making sure everyone can have an epic bike ride in the middle of a major pandemic which is causing massive disruptions to global civilization. This is really simple: if you can't make riding your bike work within the current parameters, just do something else. I personally think is a great time for people to explore their neighborhood and try new trails and routes they wouldn't normally pick, but regardless of that it's unreasonable to complain about the measures various parks are taking in the interest of public safety specifically in response to problems they are seeing at those parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    There is already plenty of room for people to spread out, even if they simply don't like the room that's available. I don't understand your apparent fixation on making sure everyone can have an epic bike ride in the middle of a major pandemic which is causing massive disruptions to global civilization. This is really simple: if you can't make riding your bike work within the current parameters, just do something else. I personally think is a great time for people to explore their neighborhood and try new trails and routes they wouldn't normally pick, but regardless of that it's unreasonable to complain about the measures various parks are taking in the interest of public safety specifically in response to problems they are seeing at those parks.
    The issue is safe social distancing on all those routes, not having epic bike rides. One of my main running routes is along 4MR, which before had very light traffic most any time of the week. Now it’s packed every day and very hard to maintain social distance. Going onto Glebe or George Mason which are hardly a walker’s paradise and now there’s people every block and no way to safely social distance from them when going by on the narrow sidewalks.

This is a problem created by the policies put in place. People need fresh air and exercise to maintain health, but the solutions have made the social distancing problem worse, not better.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Strava even updated their app to help find new routes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess you people in VA have it much worse than us in MD. I have many different roads that I can ride on (but then again, I chose a home that was convenient to work AND bike friendly). Yes, I was actually aware of that when I bought my home. I choose a home that was not near a lot of major roads, was close enough to shopping, and close enough to the country.
    With the closure of schools and lack of a rush hour, I have a cornucopia of routes. At this point, roads are far safer than trails.
    And I would also like to add that these are unusual times. When was the last time that we had even anything close to this? 9/11 was scary, but it certainly didn't stop me from riding or going about my usual routine. The sniper shootings of 2002 were a very close 2nd to this. I was terrified of even going out then. But my head got a good workout from looking back and forth and across the street all at the same time.
    I am still going out daily (thanks to the solo bike exercise exclusion), but I am avoiding human contact at all costs.
    The bottom line is, if you aren't comfortable going out, don't! And if you do go out, please avoid contact with any other humans. I saw a group of seven people today doing a group workout and they were all very close to each other. It's groups like this that cause these stringent rules to go into place. Just be smart.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

When you live in a house or even a townhome that has its own separate outdoor space, it's easy to say "just stick to *your* space if there are no safe options". But lots of people in this area live in high rises. They don't have their own outdoor space. To get fresh air and exercise (both important for health), they have to go out. The point a lot of us are making is this: we don't need to dedicate so much space to cars right now. Cars aren't using it. We can instead dedicate that space to giving people an option to walk, run, bike, BE outside, in fresh air, but separate from others.

I'm not concerned with closing a lane on (e.g.) Military Road, which runs through neighborhoods of mostly SFHs, and is flanked by neighborhood streets. But Lynn and Fort Myer, Four Mile Run Drive, Joyce and Hayes, etc -- those streets that run through areas with lots of multifamily housing -- We should use the space that we don't need for cars right now and use it like trails - open to people walking, running, scooting, and biking, where people later on that list have to yield to people earlier on that list.

15. Likes Steve O liked this post