Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tidal Basin, Memorial Bridge, Lincoln Memorial Street closures

Post Thanks / Like

Is Hains Point open then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    You could try going up to L'Enfant from the Wharf at 9th St SW, cross the Francis Case Memorial pedestrian bridge into East Potomac, then take Ohio over to East Basin drive. I imagine that would route you around the road blocks on the DC side. Not much choice coming from the Virginia side.
    Meaning that I cannot go anywhere once I get to DC from VA if I am on the 14th street bridge? From the DDOT page it almost looks like I can be on the sidewalk to get to the wharf area and then could go up 7th (or 9th, I guess) to get to the L'Enfant area. But the little bit from the bridge to that part of Maine is not entirely devoid of closures, it looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

I have NOT tried to ride it, but driving by late yesterday, there appeared to be police tape cordoning off the tidal basis and they were allowing pedestrians and cyclists on and off the 14th St bridge. Unfortunately, like a lot of things, it likely depends on the particular officer you encounter and to a certain extent, how you interact with that officer.

Post Thanks / Like

Just passing this along (haven't been close by in weeks so no first hand information), but WABA tweeted that both the 14th Street bridge sidepath and Memorial Bridge are closed. https://twitter.com/WABADC/status/1242864341906526208

We've learned that as part of the Cherry Blossom shutdown, the 14th Street Bridge sidepath is closed, as is the Memorial Bridge.

This means that if you need to cross the crossing the Potomac, your options are limited to the Roosevelt Bridge and Key Bridge.

Plan accordingly.
    They did note that they are talking to MPD and NPS about this, so hopefully it won't last for those few who need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Just passing this along (haven't been close by in weeks so no first hand information), but WABA tweeted that both the 14th Street bridge sidepath and Memorial Bridge are closed. https://twitter.com/WABADC/status/1242864341906526208

They did note that they are talking to MPD and NPS about this, so hopefully it won't last for those few who need it.
    Pretty much a self-correcting problem once the cherry blossoms wither, and are no longer an "attractive nuisance."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    You could try going up to L'Enfant from the Wharf at 9th St SW, cross the Francis Case Memorial pedestrian bridge into East Potomac, then take Ohio over to East Basin drive. I imagine that would route you around the road blocks on the DC side. Not much choice coming from the Virginia side.
    I just tried this today. There is a police car blocking the path which leads from Banneker Park Circle toward the Case Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    I just tried this today. There is a police car blocking the path which leads from Banneker Park Circle toward the Case Bridge.
    This morning I found the following web site from NPS: https://www.nps.gov/nama/learn/manag...m-festival.htm

It indicates that the whole area is closed from 7am to 8pm each day (which may be why I saw people on the bridge around 7am on Tuesday. It expires on Sunday (unless they extend it, I suppose)). There is a map showing it all being closed. I ended up metro-ing over to my appointment.

Post Thanks / Like

The NPS map shows Memorial Bridge closed to motorized traffic, but outside the pedestrian (and bike?) closure zone. That was patently not the case on Monday morning, as I was shoo'ed away by a DC cop.

--------

Update: Memorial Bridge is open to bikes and pedestrians. I rode across in the main traffic lanes about 5 this evening. Woo-hoo, and got to check out the ongoing work on the north side. A lot of bored National Guard and cops standing around near the Lincoln Memorial. They still aren't allowing people to turn south towards Independence Ave.
    Last edited by arlcxrider; 03-26-2020 at 05:49 PM.

9. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw on Strava a friend who ran across the 14th St bridge today at 3pm, accessing it from Ohio Dr. Maybe they're starting to ease restrictions? Or as someone said earlier, it really might be hit or miss depending on what officer is there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    The NPS map shows Memorial Bridge closed to motorized traffic, but outside the pedestrian (and bike?) closure zone. That was patently not the case on Monday morning, as I was shoo'ed away by a DC cop.

--------

Update: Memorial Bridge is open to bikes and pedestrians. I rode across in the main traffic lanes about 5 this evening. Woo-hoo, and got to check out the ongoing work on the north side. A lot of bored National Guard and cops standing around near the Lincoln Memorial. They still aren't allowing people to turn south towards Independence Ave.
    Where were you able to go on the DC side? That is, are there other changes?