Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Fairfax Loop:WO&D from Airport toHerndon,Cross-Country to Occoquan/Mt.Vernon/airp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Char Miller View Post
    That is what I was wondering -- if the Cross Country Trail part was too rough for a road bike. I take it that it is too difficult to ride with a road bike. That is a shame.
    This part, yeah. But lest we scare people off the GCCCT completely, it's worth noting that other parts are well graded and crushed stone or even paved. It just depends which specific stretch you're looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    It was too rough to ride with a hybrid with front and seat suspension. Some example: every 10 feet there is a 90 degree turn to a steep or a rocky 10 feet, for horses to jump to, or hikers, and the list go on. There is a CCT marker to tell you where the trail is, but there are too many paths cleared by people to their houses and they look in a better shape than the trail, so I followed them and ended up going in circles. Here is an example short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2vM37NNdo&t=120

He is going downhill mostly, but imagine going the other way.
    None of that is actually the CCT. All of that was in Lake Fairfax proper, which is single track trails. Most (if not all) of the CCT is doable on a CX/Gravel bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Here is another alternative on the west side. You just use Fairfax Country Parkway Trail, which was repaved in the last year or two. It's flat or downhill mostly.
    Oh that looks good.