Likes Likes:  74
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Last Day of Freezing Saddles 2020!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Last Day of Freezing Saddles 2020!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that participated in FS2020 this year. I look forward to it every year because it really motivates my wife and me to get out there and ride, even when the weather's bad.

In Freezing Saddles, the social aspect is huge to me. I cherish the group rides, coffee clubs, and other activities where I get to meet and hang out with old friends and new. Coronavirus did a doozy on all that towards the end, but I'm glad I was able to squeeze in some of that before things got bad.

What were some of the highlights of Freezing Saddles for you this year?

Mine were:
    1. Turning an idea of a silly day (Laugh and Get Rich Day) into a group ride: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/49507919071/
    2. Seeing Komorebi on a mountain bike: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/49637303618/
    3. The multi-team brunch meetup at East West Coffee and Wine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/49608985187/

Stay safe, stay mobile, and if I don't see you out there, I'll see you at FS21!

I <3 my bike by ricky d, on Flickr

PS - Post your pics on this thread of your last FS20 ride!
    Last edited by drevil; 03-19-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my highlights:

• Beerneuring in Kalamazoo MI with the wife in freezing rain
    • Three family ride with the top 4 kids on the Pointless Kids leaderboard
    • Team 14 ride through the Arboretum
    • Family Beerneuring. My kids would once again be top 10 on the list if they were allowed to taste

I missed a lot of the social this year. We couldn't make the opening happy hour and I've been busy on the weekends with the kids' futsal schedule.

I haven't done my last BAFS 2020 ride - trying to figure out where to go that won't be crowded in 72 degree weather.

3. Likes drevil, Steve O, Starduster, Brownws, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Some of my highlights:

• Three family ride with the top 4 kids on the Pointless Kids leaderboard

I haven't done my last BAFS 2020 ride - trying to figure out where to go that won't be crowded in 72 degree weather.
    Did this ride happen to pass through Hyattsville? Wife and I were eating inside Pizzeria Paradiso, and saw a flock of kids biking and immediately recognized LlasaCM. I was about to run out there to take a pic, but I didn't want to spook the kids, especially while they were riding on Route 1

Amen to an uncrowded last ride. Nobody go to Lake Artemesia tonight. I already reserved it (cough, cough)
    Last edited by drevil; 03-19-2020 at 08:59 AM.

5. Likes Steve O, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The wonderful turnout at the Jay/Hayes Street Glass pick up project. What a great community!
    2. Rode more miles this year than last year.

I will be at HP tonight 10ISH I will wave and blow kisses to all from 6' away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Did this ride happen to pass through Hyattsville? Wife and I were eating inside Pizzeria Paradiso, and saw a flock of kids biking and immediately recognized LlasaCM. I was about to run out there to take a pic, but I didn't want to spook the kids, especially while they were riding on Route 1
    Yes, February 9th.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Drevil for starting this! I too look forward to FReezing Saddles every year. I know I wouldnít get the miles in if it werenít for the competition and Iím happy with the push it gives me...not to mention the pointless prizes!

Iíve been participating for the last four years and I think this will be my last (in person) for a while. All depends on this virus thing but my plan is to move to Spain (my home) for a bit and care for my parents. Iím excited for this new adventure but very sad to leave my friends (especially bikey friends)

I havenít gone on a ride yet today...but Iím planning on it!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Likes drevil, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First-year participant here! A few highlights for me:

1.) “Drawing” a manta ray in Arlington on Dave Pomeroy’s Strava art ride! This is something I’ve always wanted to do, so I was thrilled that Freezing Saddles brought about this opportunity. Thanks so much for making that happen, Dave! I would love to participate in more of these in the future, so please keep me posted. After the ride, Dave also guided me on my first journey over the Memorial Bridge. (Somehow while bike commuting for 6 years, I just never rode over it before!)

2.) Going for the coldest ride in Maine! Over Presidents Day weekend I visited friends in Maine and thought for sure I wouldn’t be able to ride. Turns out one of my friends had rescued a vintage steel Raleigh from her town’s dump and fixed it up! Her house is set way back on an unpaved road that was still covered in snow, but I let a little air out of the tires and rode back and forth on the one short flat area of the road. According to the Klimat app, it was 0.16 degrees Fahrenheit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200215_155440.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	21430

3.) Impromptu trivia at the Thirsty Crow! Team 19-Team 26’s joint happy hour turned into a few of us sticking around for to play pub trivia. We actually did pretty well until the end (despite no one else but me having watched Game of Thrones, and there was a whole round just about it!), but it was certainly fun to take the friendly competition to another cerebral level.

My last FS ride will be a solo ride this evening to get takeout from Rito Loco to get my #tacoloco on one last time.

THANK YOU to the organizers! Look forward to doing this all again next year!

11. Likes drevil, Steve O, jrenaut, Nadine, ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First year FS here, had a late start and then missed too many days. My main focus this winter was on indoor training for spring racing, but we all know how that's going currently...

Biggest highlights:

1. Started commuting to work a couple days a week, was planning on starting in the spring but FS was a great motivator to start earlier

2. Did an end-to-end on the W&OD trail finally, racking up a hair under 95 miles leaving from my house. Had only planned on finally hitting the east end, but then figured more points were points so went the whole way.

13. Likes drevil, Steve O, jrenaut, Nadine, ChristoB50 liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    Iíve been participating for the last four years and I think this will be my last (in person) for a while. All depends on this virus thing but my plan is to move to Spain (my home) for a bit and care for my parents.
    As an FS veteran, you are eligible to play from afar. Just like consular & boomer, etc.

15. Likes jrenaut, CBGanimal, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

Amen to an uncrowded last ride. Nobody go to Lake Artemesia tonight. I already reserved it (cough, cough)
    I've only done Lake Artemesia one time but isn't it always too crowded with walkers to enjoy biking around? Or did I miss something?