Thread: Predictions for tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

It was a lovely ride home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowy pencil.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	568

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it'll all be melty slush judging from the temps forecast. I was surprised to see so much snow though - when I checked the forecast before I left this morning it said 30% chance of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    so alas, I guess it's not yet time to play with my new toy (studded tires on the mountain bike).
    My thoughts exactly. I actually ended up un-mounting them in November after having them on for a couple weeks as I still use that MTB as a wet weather option.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely fun riding too.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My ride home was all after dark. The MVT didn't have too many issues before 6 pm, a couple of slushy spots and the wooden walkway at Roosevelt Island/Bridge was slick. There were areas of standing water where there is always water after a rain. Depending on tonight's low, those may be ice covered in the morning.

The 4MRT from the airport to Shirlington had a couple small slushy stretches. The W&OD from Shirlington to George Mason was basically just wet, but from George Mason to Columbia Pike it had more slush. Then from Columbia Pike to Wilson Blvd, it basically had about a half inch of snow or slush. The wooden bridges in Glencarlyn and Bluemont had a good coating of snow that was starting to get packed down by foot and bike traffic. I felt my rear tire (700x35 semi-slick) start to spin on a couple and I wasn't pushing very hard. From Wilson to Ohio there seemed to be less snow/slush, but there was still a good snow cover on the bridge just before the Custis intersection.

Again, the conditions in the morning will depend on the overnight temperatures. It's 34 right now in my back yard in Dominion Hills, a degree warmer in the past hour and a half. I'm going to wait and see what things look like when I get up at 5 am before deciding to mount the studded tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Downtown, the CCT, and Bethesda were all just wet. Snow was sticking the grass and some bridges but that's it. HOWEVER, tonight is supposed to be 30-32 degrees. That wet can probably become ice pretty quick. Depending on how early you leave in the morning, it could be a problem. I plan to wake up a little early to throw the studded snow tires on the bike if its slick.

Tomorrow's forecast during the day.... Sunny and 55. Wierd.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a great ride home to Shirlington around 6:45 pm (14th St bridge to MVT to FMR). Mostly just wet by then, with snow sticking to the grass. Very pretty. Love that people are posting such timely info on trail conditions and the great photos!

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrived at Glen Carlyn at about 5:00 pm, 10 miles along the W&OD. Started the trail was clear and end with a good white blanket on the asphalt. Had to take off my helmet and put on my baseball cap to keep the snow out of my eyes. There was only one other set of bike tracks in the snow at that time and the trail had become covered. I was good and warm, but soaked. The hill getting out of Glen Carlyn was very slick. When I got off my bike I noticed that the headlights were caked with snow!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AiwWaxvCEAEcK9X.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	569

Fun ride! Better HOT shower!

ADDENDUM: Wet snow appears to have shorted out the christmas lights! Bummer.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 01-10-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I rode home yesterday from Reston in what was probably the heaviest part of the snow. It was great fun. one out except the other crazies and a couple of very put out walkers. It was starting to stick to the trail by the time I got to the center of Vienna, and by the time I got to Falls Church, it was completely covered.

I did enjoy my own visions of me as Belgian Hard Man(tm) training in the snow.

Either way I thought discretion is the better part of valor, and, not having studded tires, I would forego the risk of black ice this morning.

**note to self; knock snow off bike *before* bringing it inside**.

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous ride for me too. Snow falling, clear (wet) trail, and otherwise very peaceful. My bike needs a bath so so bad...