Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike shopping during the pandemic

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike shopping during the pandemic

A bike I am considering and have put a deposit on, has arrived at the bike shop. I want to test ride it. I know that when checking seat height it's usual for me to sit on the boulevard pedal backwards while the shop employee holds the handlebars.

I don't want to spread infection either way. I want to "flatten the curve". OTOH I want to support an LBS, as well as get N+1. Suggestions on how to balance (so to speak) these goals are appreciated.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe adjust yourself and take it for a spin? If you get it roughly right it will give you a good feel for the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    A bike I am considering and have put a deposit on, has arrived at the bike shop. I want to test ride it. I know that when checking seat height it's usual for me to sit on the boulevard pedal backwards while the shop employee holds the handlebars.

I don't want to spread infection either way. I want to "flatten the curve". OTOH I want to support an LBS, as well as get N+1. Suggestions on how to balance (so to speak) these goals are appreciated.
    Put it on a trainer. Most bike shops have one.

5. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Judd's suggestion. Bring your own multi-tool, and adjust it yourself, but ask first. Some don't like people adjusting things and potentially break something before they buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Another option is the 109% method, you could measure your inseam ahead of time and just tell the shop. Should get you into the ballpark if you don't want to be popping wheels on an off with the trainer.

And congrats on the new ride!!

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, nothing will be perfect. You'll touch the bike, they'll touch the bike. Even if you adjust it yourself, they've adjusted it prior and will again after, even if you buy it.

So if you're worried about it, bring some hand sanitizer, and clean your hands BEFORE and after touching the bike, and wear gloves while riding. Ask them to use your hand sanitizer before they touch the bike if they help with seat adjustment, and ask them to wipe the bike down with a cleaner before and after you test ride it, or do it yourself. Don't sneeze, cough, or spit on the bike. Wear a balaclava if you're worried about that happening. Way more stylish than a surgical mask

At this stage, if you're not completely bunkering down at home (which is almost impossible for many of us--some of us need to buy groceries, order food, work jobs that still require us to leave the house, etc), you just need to take as many steps as possible to keep yourself and others around you safe.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Don't sneeze, cough, or spit on the bike.
    Also, fight the urge to kiss your new bike.

Post Thanks / Like

All the local shops in the area are sanitizing the touch points on the bike before and after test rides. Most are also offering curbside service. Call the shop and discuss your concerns and their action plans to keep both you and them safe.

13. Likes Starduster, Steve O, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every bike shop is doing something similar to the Papillon Cycles example. This is what they *must* do to keep their staff safe, and ultimately, *employed*.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible for the lovely LBS folks that are still open, providing a public service, and employing our friends (Phoenix Bikes, Contes, Bikenetic, etc.) please let us know how we can support you during the pandemic including donation, gift cards, etc.?