Likes Likes:  157
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Sanatarium: Group Bike Rides

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

This virus is different in that the incubation period is 5-14 days -- i.e. a person could have no symptoms for 5-14 days after exposure and could be spreading the virus during some or all of that time. Our testing has been virtually non-existent. So I don't think we can rely on the ol' "don't come if you have symptoms" to stop the spread of this thing.

Also, when you're working out, you're sweating, your nose starts running, you may spit... Bodily fluids are prevalent.

Personally, I think solo bike rides are fine at this point. I think having a small set of "your people" that you are in contact with (as long as it's a closed set - you are all only in contact with each other) is fine. But I think anything beyond that is putting people in danger.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    This virus is different in that the incubation period is 5-14 days -- i.e. a person could have no symptoms for 5-14 days after exposure and could be spreading the virus during some or all of that time. Our testing has been virtually non-existent. So I don't think we can rely on the ol' "don't come if you have symptoms" to stop the spread of this thing.

Also, when you're working out, you're sweating, your nose starts running, you may spit... Bodily fluids are prevalent.

Personally, I think solo bike rides are fine at this point. I think having a small set of "your people" who you are in contact with (as long as it's a closed set - you are all only in contact with each other) is fine. But I think anything beyond that is putting people in danger.
    There is a small chance someone who comes may be an asymptomatic carrier.
    That said, I intend to go down to Hains Point and ride around on Thursday night. If I am all by myself, then that seems like a pretty safe place to be.

IMO, if you are feeling healthy and have had no known contact with anyone who has COVID-19, the FSLNHPP is an extremely low risk place to be. We'll all be wearing gear, including bike gloves, there's a wind that will blow away any coughs (if you need to cough, move away from others and cough downwind) and--other than the restrooms--no surfaces that might have the virus on them.
    I feel pretty comfortable with that. If you do not, don't come.

If you want to kiss me, though, that will require special consideration and permission will only be granted to select individuals.
    Last edited by Steve O; 03-17-2020 at 05:27 PM.

3. Likes DrBullet, awitt, Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    ...If you want to kiss me, though, that will require special consideration and permission will only be granted to select individuals.
    Well dang. There is no reason to show up then, is there?

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot stress this enough - please do not hold group rides. We are being asked to stay inside not only to protect ourselves, but others. When you get together with people outside your immediate household, you risk transferring the virus to/from additional people.

The governor just called for no social gatherings with 10 or more people in a setting. It is hard to maintain proper social distancing in a group ride.

Please keep rides solo or with household members only.
    Stay home.
    Donít hang out with people outside of your household.
    Wash your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a member or anything, but an organization called USA Cycling is also asking that people ride solo.
    This is from their twitter account. https://twitter.com/usacycling/statu...53370649378817

Post Thanks / Like

I always carry kleenex tissue, just in case I use a restroom, and many have gone paperless, so less touching. It helps with removing grease and grime too if something happens to my bike.
    Last edited by n18; 03-18-2020 at 04:39 PM.

8. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Philadelphia, bicycle shops have been declared essential businesses and can stay open during the pandemic:
    https://bicyclecoalition.org/breakin...al-businesses/

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

**sanitizes desk thoroughly**

**bangs head on desk**

It's not about you. Just stop.

Post Thanks / Like

JUST IN: Arlington Opening Drive-Through Coronavirus Testing Site

What do you think would happen if you showed up on a bike at a drive-through coronavirus testing site?

Post Thanks / Like

You would be run over by a large white SUV.