Likes Likes:  157
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Sanatarium: Group Bike Rides

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Emm: yes, this is a GREAT opportunity to try out a less traveled, all road route that will likely be plowed and treated during FS next year- alone or with your immediate household members.
    Yesssssss! I rode with 2 friends on a McLean loop route Joan made up years ago. Trolling to go to Riverbend - though my route there involves riding to Clark's crossing & back on the w&od.

Oh and I'm tweaking a road alternate to the CCT that I used in winter back when they didn't plow in MoCo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Physical Distancing: Social Bonding; Social Connecting

Putting in a plug for adjusted nomenclature. I'm using "Physical Distancing" rather than "social." Now more than ever we need social bonding and social connecting, and I think that terminology sends the wrong signal.

I continue to say "Good morning" to all I pass on the trail, and I wave to the other cyclists who are out riding. A tiny bit of social connecting rather than distancing.

Feel free to make the change in your usage, too, if you feel comfortable with it.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.outsideonline.com/241053...transportation

Need to Get Around in a Pandemic? Ride a Bike.

As COVID-19 shuts down buses and trains in cities, we remember that bicycles are the ultimate contingency plan

5. Likes Nadine, Starduster, reji, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Putting in a plug for adjusted nomenclature. I'm using "Physical Distancing" rather than "social." Now more than ever we need social bonding and social connecting, and I think that terminology sends the wrong signal.

I continue to say "Good morning" to all I pass on the trail, and I wave to the other cyclists who are out riding. A tiny bit of social connecting rather than distancing.

Feel free to make the change in your usage, too, if you feel comfortable with it.
    Much needed improvement. "Social distancing" is such a new and odd phrase. It does not accurately convey that what you mean is, "STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM EACH OTHER!!!" Thank you, sir...

Post Thanks / Like

Parks & Recreation Closures due to COVID-19
    Arlington Closes its Parks, Fields, and Playgrounds

Arlington County is committed to the health and safety of our community and our employees. Effectively immediately, all Arlington County/APS parks, fields, playgrounds, restrooms, tracks, dog parks and athletic courts are closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Signs will be posted at all affected locations. Park visitors are asked to adhere to all closure notices and current social distancing recommendations.

Trails and community gardens are also closed to groups. Please exercise and garden alone. In order to stop the spread of COVID-19, it is important that everyone take personal responsibility and practice social distancing and wash your hands frequently. To keep updated on the status of COVID-19, please visit the County’s webpage. Be sure to sign up for Arlington Alert for County updates and here for Parks & Recreation’s eNews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Parks & Recreation Closures due to COVID-19
    Arlington Closes its Parks, Fields, and Playgrounds

Arlington County is committed to the health and safety of our community and our employees. Effectively immediately, all Arlington County/APS parks, fields, playgrounds, restrooms, tracks, dog parks and athletic courts are closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Signs will be posted at all affected locations. Park visitors are asked to adhere to all closure notices and current social distancing recommendations.

Trails and community gardens are also closed to groups. Please exercise and garden alone. In order to stop the spread of COVID-19, it is important that everyone take personal responsibility and practice distancing and wash your hands frequently. To keep updated on the status of COVID-19, please visit the County’s webpage. Be sure to sign up for Arlington Alert for County updates and here for Parks & Recreation’s eNews.
    One would hope that people could garden or take a walk or bike ride or run with the people they already live with, say, their children or spouse or partner, etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Much needed improvement. "Social distancing" is such a new and odd phrase. It does not accurately convey that what you mean is, "STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM EACH OTHER!!!" Thank you, sir...
    Actually, this is kind of the opposite attitude of what I was suggesting. One can maintain a safe physical distance and engage in a pleasant conversation or exchange a cheerful greeting, which we need even more of than usual, IMO.

10. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, this is kind of the opposite attitude of what I was suggesting. One can maintain a safe physical distance and engage in a pleasant conversation or exchange a cheerful greeting, which we need even more of than usual, IMO.
    Pleasant conversations and hand waving may possibly transmit the virus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    I had never heard of the social distancing either. But after a bit of research, it originated back in the days of the Leper colonies.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using "Physical Distancing" rather than "social." Now more than ever we need social bonding and social connecting, and I think that terminology sends the wrong signal.
    Steve, it looks like WHO listened to you:

"In a briefing on Friday, the World Health Organization’s Maria Van Kerkhove endorsed a change in phrasing that’s starting to become more common: Instead of social distancing, we need to practice “physical distancing.”
    ... by calling it physical distancing, public health officials hope to communicate that we’re not trying to cut ourselves off socially. Having a supportive social life is more important than ever to handle the stress of these chaotic times, so we should be actively seeking out social connections."

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/were-c...now-1842454451

14. Likes Steve O, Nadine liked this post