Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still Looking for a New Year's Resolution? Try a group ride.

Post Thanks / Like

There are two rides that leave from the Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown on Sundays at 10am, led by my team, District Velocity Racing. The rides both head north up Macarthur and into Potomac, there's a fast tempo 60 mile ride and then a more mellow 40 miler that leaves 5 minutes later. The 40-mile ride is no-drop, there are a couple regroup points after hilly sections, and I would guess we go 19-20 on the flat sections. If you're interested, PM me and I can give you more details and try to meet up for the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a group ride for everyone who manages to keep the rubber side down (most of the time).

Community Rides: Low-key, relaxed, usually minimal Lycra rides.
    Some of the most fun I've ever had on a bike involved Dirt, a community ride, and a vuvuzela.

Social Rides: Generally low-key, usually Lycra is involved, focus on cooperation and education, secondary focus: food. These can be very fun or a complete bore depending upon who shows up and what kind of rapport develops during the ride. But who cares? It's an investment of a few hours. I would say all D rides and most C rides as defined by Potomac Pedalers fit into this category. Perhaps some rides out of the LBS fall into this category.

Serious Rides: Honestly, they are fun. But ride into them with your eyes wide open and your ego in check. I've ridden so hard in some of them I've almost thrown up. But for me, that's my idea of fun. Set your own limits ahead of time, have a plan for what to do if you get dropped, ride within your abilities. The benefit of riding with stronger people is you learn to ride faster, work harder and see what is possible. Maybe you'll be able to keep up for ten miles the first time. Next time try to keep up for twelve. For me a ride like Contes/Fresh Bikes is tough, so is the Wakefield Park Ride if I'm riding with the B group.

Happy trails,
    ann

Post Thanks / Like

Bicycle Space DC does a "Cupcake Ramble" on Saturdays. During the warmer months it's led by Sol Schott, who's an actual baker. The rides are 10-15 miles long; the last time I went, we rode to the Arboretum, had Sol's deliciously decadent chocolate brownies, then rode back to the shop. You do have to be comfortable riding on city streets, but there's usually not a lot of traffic in that part of town.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope over time when folks have good experiences with group rides they will post here and tell the rest of us. That would be tremendously helpful. There's nothing worse than showing up expecting a hit and giggle ride and finding yourself on a death march. I once rode with Satan. Seriously, it was July and the ride was 70 miles. The dude showed up dressed completely in black. That should have been my first clue...

ann

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    I hope over time when folks have good experiences with group rides they will post here and tell the rest of us. That would be tremendously helpful. There's nothing worse than showing up expecting a hit and giggle ride and finding yourself on a death march. I once rode with Satan. Seriously, it was July and the ride was 70 miles. The dude showed up dressed completely in black. That should have been my first clue...

ann
    Ann, I thought you weren't a vehicular cyclist so where are these super difficult rides taking place? I presume they must be on the roads and not the trails. Just curious...

Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

I freely admit to being a coward but I can play the odds with the best of them. A pack of twenty or more riders makes the likelihood of me having an unfortunate misunderstanding with a four-wheeled vehicle lower. Of course riding in a pack raises other issues.

To my credit or stupidity I'm riding more in the streets alone. Yesterday I was on a road I didn't care for much. Lots of traffic moving quickly, no bike lane. In situations like that I wish I had a bright yellow jersey with the words, "Caution Wide Load" on the back. But I'm lucky, 90% of my interactions with vehicles are positive.

ann