Likes Likes:  82
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 scoring system - is it an improvement?

Post Thanks / Like

In years past I would ride almost every, if not every day because that first mile was so distinct in terms of bonus. Now it just seems somewhat diluted by all the other bonus points up through 10 miles, so in some ways it seems less significant and / or motivating now. My thought (probably misguided) being that unless I do that full 10, or at least 4 or 5, it really isn't keeping pace with others out there (competition wise, that is, I will still do short rides if for other reasons), so will just take the day off. My math might be off, and my thinking probably certainly so, but that has been the way I have viewed it, and my number of ride-days are well short of years past.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Next year, we just need to establish a pointless prize for the post exhibiting the most sanctimonious whine or the most ridiculous bloviation.
    "we"
    Pointless Prizes are established from the grass roots. It's not too late for you to offer one for this year if you like. Just let accordioneur know and he can add it to the list.

3. Likes jrenaut, jen_stoly liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BTC_DC View Post
    In years past I would ride almost every, if not every day because that first mile was so distinct in terms of bonus. Now it just seems somewhat diluted by all the other bonus points up through 10 miles, so in some ways it seems less significant and / or motivating now. My thought (probably misguided) being that unless I do that full 10, or at least 4 or 5, it really isn't keeping pace with others out there (competition wise, that is, I will still do short rides if for other reasons), so will just take the day off. My math might be off, and my thinking probably certainly so, but that has been the way I have viewed it, and my number of ride-days are well short of years past.
    That first mile is worth 20. The second one only 9. So it's still a pretty big difference.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    "we"
    Pointless Prizes are established from the grass roots. It's not too late for you to offer one for this year if you like. Just let accordioneur know and he can add it to the list.
    Geez... I am not even participating this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this year's scoring system a lot. It is more fun being a captain when there's such a nice bonus for short- and medium-distance participation, without over incentivizing one-mile rides. This year's system encourages bike rides to do things, without overincentiving either one-mile rides that are kind of worthless usually, or super long-distance rides, which are unattainable for many.

I think this year is great, despite our being out ridden by the Bollard Blasters and out-participated by the WintryMixters. -Jeff (Team 3)

Post Thanks / Like

The scoring system this year did encourage me to ride 10 miles on days that I would have sleazed, especially the week that I was sick.

But I think pretty much any change to the system is a solution looking for a problem. 200 people sign up every year no matter what the scoring system is. Some of them care about winning. Some of them donít. Some of them donít play the next year. Some of them do. Friends are made. Community is formed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Geez... I am not even participating this year.
    Then what did you mean by "we?"
    And not being on a team or not does not preclude one from offering pointless prizes. Several people who are not assigned to teams are doing so. Feel free to jump in!

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The advantage of the word "we" is that I can propose something without making any commitment to actually do something. It seems that my years in the bureaucracy have not been for naught.

10. Likes Steve O, jrenaut, josh, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda like the point system this year, but I definitely rode more last year! I don't like the idea of teams getting negative points for teammates to miss a day - that would penalize the folks that do ride more rather than provide incentive for the rider that misses a day or two or more.

12. Likes ChristoB50, jen_stoly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And not being on a team or not does not preclude one from offering pointless prizes. Several people who are not assigned to teams are doing so. Feel free to jump in!
    In fact, it's possible to run the whole Pointless Prize enterprise without being on a team

14. Likes jrenaut, bentbike33, chris_s, Steve O, Sunyata liked this post