Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Bike Angels program suspended

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike Angels program suspended

(I am writing this as a long-time Capital Bikeshare member and regular Bike Angel points-earner.)

On Tuesday Feb. 25, 2020, came the surprise announcement that the Bike Angels program in Capital Bikeshare, as we have known it, has been suspended for an indefinite period. There was no word of this until it happened, but in retrospect I think there were some signs.

The phrasing they used was "Pressing Pause" (see below), but the contents of the email are less than crystal clear on all what it means.

There was a lot of confusion and a variety of other negative emotions from regular Bike Angels, judging by scattered mentions of this on Twitter. I know seeing the email was a real disappointment to me, especially as I had recently talked two people into doing Bike Angels and they seemed interested.

Someone apparently involved with running CaBi named Aaron didn't seem to fully know what was going on ("pretty sure the points are coming back"), when a few people complained on Twitter about the sudden disappearance of Bike Angels with the new, highly-Lyft-like app (another topic entirely -- which deserves a thread).

The emailed announcement was as follows (delivered by email from "marketing@capitalbikeshare.com"):

(Subject: Changes to Bike Angels)

PRESSING PAUSE ON BIKE ANGELS

"Collin from Bike Angels" showing up in your inbox again. We recently sent you some info about some updates to the Capital Bikeshare app. If you can’t tell, we’re really excited about continuing to improve service and availability of bikes throughout Metro DC.

As you probably know, the Bike Angels program was created to give bike riders (like you!) an opportunity to earn rewards for improving the balance of bikes and docks in the Capital Bikeshare system. The changing nature of Capital Bikeshare with different types of bikes and parking methods, means changes to the operational challenges of "balancing" bikes and docks across the system. We know that riders will have an important role to play here, but the current Bike Angels system — with points tied to specific stations — won't make the most sense.

As a result, we're hitting pause on the Bike Angels program, and the last points will be earned on February 29. And as a thank you for being a dedicated Bike Angel, we've extended your membership by an additional two weeks.

Your Bike Angels lifetime stats

.... total points
    .... trips earning points

Stay tuned for more,
    Collin and the Bike Angels team
    (I originally wrote this about Feb. 26, but have refrained from posting until now, waiting to get a few days perspective. I originally thought this was potentially the end of Bike Angels entirely ["the last points will be earned on February 29"] and so posted a longer, retrospective on the program as I have known it, which I may post later. The very-short version is: Bike Angels was great.)
    Last edited by Yule; 03-03-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yule View Post

Someone apparently involved with running CaBi named Aaron didn't seem to fully know what was going on ("pretty sure the points are coming back"), when a few people complained on Twitter about the sudden disappearance of Bike Angels with the new, highly-Lyft-like app (another topic entirely -- which deserves a thread).
    Aaron's the Bikeshare Manager for DDOT and shares a lot of good information on Twitter and usually will answer people's questions. My understanding of the program was that it was something that Lyft/Motivate offered that wasn't a requirement of the municipalities (but that the municipalities were cool with). I hope the program comes back although out in the hinterlands of Arlington there weren't ever any points available unless a dock was full so I had a hard time participating.

3. Likes LhasaCM liked this post