Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Reimbusement Programs - Are Any Other Federal Agencies Offering?

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike Reimbusement Programs - Are Any Other Federal Agencies Offering?

In case you missed this on Wednesday, the Washington Post's In the Loop column reports on the State Department beginng to offer a Bicycle Transportation Reimbursement.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is just State adopting the $20/month bicycle commuting benefit allowed under the tax code since 2009 - http://www.thewashcycle.com/2009/03/...r-benefit.html. It would be news if they matched the ridiculous parking benefit and gave employees $200+ per month to bike.

Post Thanks / Like

I inquired about this at my employer a few years back and got tired of trying to get them to implement it. This was back when it first came out in 2009. HR wasn't exactly receptive to the idea. It seemed quite complex and costly to implement for relatively few people to take advantage of. This was before LAW really published guidelines and suggestions for implementing. It appears a little more clear now. Maybe it is time for me to ask about this again.

Here's LAW's page on the Bicycle Commuter Tax Provision: http://www.bikeleague.org/news/100708faq.php

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry. I still call it LAW instead of LOB. No offense is intended. I'm old and feeble-minded.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I think this is just State adopting the $20/month bicycle commuting benefit allowed under the tax code since 2009 - http://www.thewashcycle.com/2009/03/...r-benefit.html. It would be news if they matched the ridiculous parking benefit and gave employees $200+ per month to bike.
    I'm with DaveK on this one. I'd sign up for this if I got the same subsidy as a car driver.

Otherwise, I take the metro about once a week and it's simply not worth giving up my metro card for that $20/month.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning to propose a set of cyclist benefits to my agency. My hope was to allow people to sign up as "fair weather" cyclists, where they get the biking benefit in the summer (April - September) and metro benefit the rest of the year. I know a lot of people who would sign up for it, if I can make it work. Of course, I need to actually read the law and stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I'm with DaveK on this one. I'd sign up for this if I got the same subsidy as a car driver.

Otherwise, I take the metro about once a week and it's simply not worth giving up my metro card for that $20/month.
    If I could get half and half or some combination it would be better. With the new SmartBenefits rules I now won't get a bike benefit at all... what I used to do was claim my transit benefit for a couple of months, let the excess build up in my account for emergencies, then switch to the bike benefit for the rest of the year. Now, since they reset the SmartBenefits amount every month, if I want a transit benefit at all I have to forgo the bike benefit. It's idiotic.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to adjust it on a monthly basis.

Post Thanks / Like

The way the legislation was written seemed to provide an either-or for metro subsidy or bike reimbursement. I wrote Rep Moran at one point suggesting they discount the metro subsidy by $2 for every $1 in bike reimbursement. The agencies would benefit and the employee wouldn't be penalized for taking metro during inclement weather. Never heard back.

Post Thanks / Like

Default bicycle commuter act - feds?

good timing; i was going to ask the same. by an incredible stroke of luck yesterday, i emailed the 'right' person and have now won interest in implementing the act at Immigration and Customs Enforcement of Dept of Homeland Security. I was told that Domestic Nuclear Prep Office of DHS already implemented. i have all the forms and documents DNPO uses if anyone needs them.

is there a list out there of Feds implementing the Bicycle Commuter Act?