Likes Likes:  37
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Road brake lever angle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Maybe hold off on the bar tape until you’ve had a chance to test this positioning out unless you want to practice your wrapping skills. Also, bull horns can look pretty rad with the right bar tape and hipster facial hair. Good luck!
    Yeah, I took the tape off to replace the brake cable and housing and am waiting to replace it. Luckily it's still winter glove season so not a big deal.

I'm sure bullhorns are fine, I just really don't like the style.

Post Thanks / Like

You could ditch the road levers altogether, and go with cross levers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    You could ditch the road levers altogether, and go with cross levers.
    Tried that a while ago when I was messing with track drop bars. Didn't like it. I prefer riding on the hoods.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15442726107_83c12917dd_c.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	21369

4. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Yeah, I took the tape off to replace the brake cable and housing and am waiting to replace it. Luckily it's still winter glove season so not a big deal.

I'm sure bullhorns are fine, I just really don't like the style.
    How would you feel about a city bar like the Cinelli Priest, with a little bit of rise and sweep? Modern versions like the Ahearne MAP and VO Milan bar are frequently used in place of drops for single speeds and fixed gears. They look very classy (IMO) and not out of place with chrome lugs like a bullhorn would (again, IMO) and would likely solve the problem of a top tube that is a bit longer than youíd like. They look good with a single brake lever so no dummy lever required for a balanced look like with drops. A flat bar and a brake lever wonít cost more than a new drop bar or new drop levers.

If youíre committed to drops Iíd say get a shorter stem. The one in the picture looks like itís 9 or 10cm? Maybe get a cheapo 7 or 8cm one and if see if that helps. I know some people donít like the look of short stems and if thatís you, Iíd say go for the city bars.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to compensate for the bike being just a little too big for me. The stem is about as short as it can go. I almost never ride in the drops so that's not a concern.

I might try raising the handlebars a little bit and also raising the drops a little bit and see where that gets me. Compact bars might help too, I've been meaning to look at that as well.
    Stem looks like a 100mm? You could easily go shorter, like as far down as 60mm. Also, consider moving to a 0 degree...I would bet that the the drop on yours is almost certainly contributing to your discomfort and the feeling that the bike is too big.

7. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to change bar style - I really do prefer riding on the brake hoods and don't like the look of bullhorn bars.

I was told a while back by someone, I can't remember who, that I couldn't go shorter on the stem. But yes, I think it's 100mm.

0 degree would mean the stem points a little up? I like the look of the stem parallel to the ground. But maybe if I get a shorter stem that would be enough.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to change bar style - I really do prefer riding on the brake hoods and don't like the look of bullhorn bars.

I was told a while back by someone, I can't remember who, that I couldn't go shorter on the stem. But yes, I think it's 100mm.

0 degree would mean the stem points a little up? I like the look of the stem parallel to the ground. But maybe if I get a shorter stem that would be enough.
    I've generally run 90 stems on all my bikes, but they definitely can be way shorter. About the shortest you'll find without getting into more specialty stuff is 60mm. And 0 degree would point "up", but you could compromise and get something like a -6 degree? Looks like yours is a -15ish?

Also, your saddle looks decently slanted...how's that affecting things? Could be forcing you into a position where you're putting additional pressure on your arms/hands, but if it works for you, then obviously go with that.

10. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn't it look safe?
    With the hand position being so high, the steering input may be amplified. Also, going over any bad road irregularities would be difficult to maintain good steering control, IMO.

12. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to compensate for the bike being just a little too big for me. The stem is about as short as it can go. I almost never ride in the drops so that's not a concern...
    Do you know what size is this bike? How much bigger is it compared with your other bike that you are comfortable riding?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, drop bars are the right bars for that bike. I can't see why a shorter stem wouldn't work, but if that's true, the angled seat post might be enough to get you forward an inch or so.

15. Likes jrenaut, kwarkentien liked this post