Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Capital Bikeshare moving semi-dockless?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    But some of us will never be covered in door-of-home-to destination way by docks. If you're going from one place in downtown DC to another, there is probably a dock somewhere close to your home and to your destination, because of high home/office density in that area. But in my suburban neighborhood in Bethesda, we're not going to have enough density to justify a dock.
    well, if you're dropping a bike somewhere that you're the only person likely to use it you've gone from "bikeshare" to "personal bike".

2. Likes Yule, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DC isn't Bethesda, I know, but I've left Jump bikes in some pretty odd locations around the city and have been impressed by how quickly they disappear again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    well, if you're dropping a bike somewhere that you're the only person likely to use it you've gone from "bikeshare" to "personal bike".
    Not really. There is a difference between a place where someone is likely to pick up one bike versus a place where you can justify a dock for a whole line of bikes. Plus, dockless bikes get rebalanced. (Right now, Jump bikes do.) So if no one in my neighborhood wanted it, it would be moved to a more popular spot within a day.

5. Likes Steve O liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the semi dockless system in Albany. I docked the bike, because that worked for me, and I did not want to pay the extra fee for leaving it undocked. There have been times in DC I would have loved the option because I was dock blocked and in a hurry. The incentive to dock it probably makes it work better than the fully dockless model in some ways, because it would reduce rebalancing costs, reduce parking issues, and for electrics make possible charging at docks (that's why I think maybe scooters should move from dockless to semi dockless). It also makes it possible to expand reach to places that do not yet have docks.

7. Likes scoot, Yule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I have executed this same exact maneuver on multiple occasions and have never had a problem. After you have moved a few bikes to partially rebalance the system, the angel points do get reduced for subsequent laps, but this has never resulted in a service denial.

However, I have experienced temporary service denials with CaBi that are unrelated to Bike Angels. Occasionally a station goes offline and fails to report a docked bike to the system while incommunicado. If so, you will get blocked from taking another bike. When this has occurred, I have always been able to call CaBi customer service, explain the situation, and they immediately unfreeze my account to allow another bike checkout on the spot. Perhaps this situation is what happened to you?
    I would echo your experience there, scoot. Same experience. I have done a lot of Bike Angeling and I don't think the problem Relwal Noj reports was related to Bike Angels, not in my experience.

There was a time last year or so when the system was plagued, for a couple weeks, by some kind of software glitch that took entire stations down for period of minutes to hour. I haven't seen that in a long time.

(On the app map, the one recently replaced by a new app, you'd get a good feel for where these glitches were likely -- when a station was reporting weird things like being full or empty when you know it shouldn't be, that meant there was likely a glitch and the station was down, so trying to get or dock a bike there would cause you a problem you'd need to get on the phone to sort out. Sadly, the new app makes this considerably harder to see at a glance.)

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Rebalancing laps can be a fun way to earn a few angel points when you happen to have some extra time and want to get some multimodal exercise. I've found Courthouse to be a great spot for it because bikes will often accumulate at some stations just a few blocks from other empty stations. Unsurprisingly, the full stations are always at lower elevations than the empty ones, so you will be jogging downhill and riding uphill. Typical example: empty docks at the county courthouse building, with full docks at 15th and Scott.
    Absolutely right. Perhaps it's no surprise, with Bike Angels now suspended (indefinitely?) that all these stations were empty earlier than I might have expected them yesterday when I passed by.

The heavily-used Courthouse stations are a good example of the need for having stations to anchor the system. There are dozens of people who use those stations to commute (demand always outstripping supply; increasing dock capacity here is an obvious choice to help the system IMO; they always go to zero at commute time). Imagine though if there were no stations, just bikes tossed anywhere and hoping for the best. Would these people ever have gotten in the bikeshare commuting habit?
    Last edited by Yule; 03-04-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default semi-semi-dockless?

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but I have heard that Lyft/Motivate have proposed to the regional jurisdiction owners that the "dockless" model
    - not allow dockless parking more than 0.25 mile from a traditional CaBi station
    - charge the user an extra fee for parking dockless

I've heard that Alexandria (staff? Council? I don't recall which) have asked for a larger dockless radius (0.5 mi?), in hopes that a larger radius might help effectively increase the geographic reach and demographic equity of the system.