Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renting a Bike in Miami Beach: How I Spent My Winter Vacation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    +1 - Riding NYC was by far the best choice I made to see the city. It's still a little bit Thunderdome on the streets, don't believe all those news stories saying it's a cycling nirvana. Not quite yet anyway.
    I am going to NYC for the first time in a few weeks, and I am seriously considering renting a bike while I am out there, but do not know where the safe areas are to ride bikes... I am from a small town, and the idea of biking on those city streets really frightens me. Do you have any recommendations on the best areas to bike in the Manhattan area? I am looking into staying at some Cheap Hotels in NYC like the Hampton Inn Times Square New York, so any suggestions for that area would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by louievito8; 07-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by louievito8 View Post
    I am going to NYC for the first time in a few weeks, and I am seriously considering renting a bike while I am out there, but do not know where the safe areas are to ride bikes... I am from a small town, and the idea of biking on those city streets really frightens me. Do you have any recommendations on the best areas to bike in the Manhattan area? Thanks.
    I moved here from Manhattan in 2008. I didn't commute by bike up there, but I rode around a lot. Riding around Central Park is amazing, and up the trail beside the West Side Highway is fun (though completely overrun on weekends). One of my favorite day trips was over the 59th Street Bridge and over to Roosevelt Island. A much longer, but awesome, day is riding out to Coney Island, and back along the Brooklyn waterfront.

I found riding on the streets better than here -- drivers are generally more responsible and expect pedestrians and bikes to be around. Fewer tourists.

While crime in Manhattan is nothing compared to here, you do have to lock your bike up well at every stop, regardless of how busy and safe-seeming the street is.

Of course, I haven't biked in NYC since 2008, and tons of things have changed. I've heard those changes are all for the better, but I look forward to a real report. (I'm now realizing that all my biking friends have left the City, probably because, like me, they were outdoorsy types that got sick of Central Park and went looking for a more outdoorsy city.)

Post Thanks / Like

so beautiful views