Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest W&OD detour

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latest W&OD detour

Noticed signs going up yesterday morning. On the way home, the trail was closed. It was fun to navigate the detour through a park for the first time in the dark.

Its the hill that runs along I-66 near I-495 between Route 7 and Gallows.

So now its back to three detours. I guess its progress, but it moves awful damn slow. Seems like they put the signs up and then actual work begins six months later. The bridge over 29 will be nice, if it ever gets completed. Seems like it was mostly done quite a while ago. Detouring on 29, or that bumpy sidewalk next to it, especially in the dark, is getting old. I guess its only a matter of time before the section running next to I-66 near Falls Church gets closed off to replace the sound barrier. That's going to suck.

Post Thanks / Like

There was discussion about this a few days ago.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...round-Feb-24th

Only 3 detours? It does kinda feel like the whole thing is under construction...

Post Thanks / Like

The price of progress!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    There was discussion about this a few days ago.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...round-Feb-24th

Only 3 detours? It does kinda feel like the whole thing is under construction...
    Closed for only a week! Well, that's good news. I've been bike commuting on the W&OD from Northern VA into DC for 27 years. The last 2-3 years have been more detours and construction than the 25 years that proceeded it. My favorite was the cyclo-cross mud pit area that was created by Roosevelt Island when they repaired the parking lot. Why use some gravel when ground up mulch will mix with the rain nicely?

Then there was the closure at the end of the 14-th street bridge that had me going up and down stairs, only to end with the signage pole being left directly in the middle of the bike lane. I assume some day they'll close it again and fix that.

But as much as I grumble, we're fortunate to have the paths we do. Its been a tremendous boon to my physical and mental health.

5. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This past weekend was my first time riding the W&OD east of Falls Church, and it really showed me how spoiled we are on the western end of it.

The bridge over 29 part is what keeps me on this side, I'd probably come up with my own detour through there if I were commuting on it daily.

It's a great trail! The problem parts probably don't add up to a half mile along the whole thing, but they are definitely there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joetats View Post
    This past weekend was my first time riding the W&OD east of Falls Church, and it really showed me how spoiled we are on the western end of it.

The bridge over 29 part is what keeps me on this side, I'd probably come up with my own detour through there if I were commuting on it daily.

It's a great trail! The problem parts probably don't add up to a half mile along the whole thing, but they are definitely there.
    A lot of people cut through the fire station parking lot. I refuse to do that. Firemen don't need to be dodging cyclists when they go out on a call.

8. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    A lot of people cut through the fire station parking lot. I refuse to do that. Firemen don't need to be dodging cyclists when they go out on a call.
    oh yikes, yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea. I'd rather get off the trail a bit earlier and loop through some of the more residential areas

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default alternative

Quote Originally Posted by joetats View Post
    oh yikes, yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea. I'd rather get off the trail a bit earlier and loop through some of the more residential areas
    There is a narrow crushed gravel path that runs along the side of the firehouse which is ridable if you have relatively wide tires. You still have to ride in the west end driveway of the firestation (the end that is opposite from where the trucks emerge) and then hop on the path on the right side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcvelobrew View Post
    There is a narrow crushed gravel path that runs along the side of the firehouse which is ridable if you have relatively wide tires. You still have to ride in the west end driveway of the firestation (the end that is opposite from where the trucks emerge) and then hop on the path on the right side.
    Yeah, I tried that once. That trail is really narrow and like you note, better if your bike has wide tires. Mine don't.

I do enjoy looping around and checking out all the crashed Teslas at the body shop. And I never knew about Bikenetic bike shop.

13. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are following the detour signs to get around the Lee Highway/Route 29 bridge, you are doing it wrong. Use the Columbia Street detour instead:

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...er-Park-detour

15. Likes dasgeh, scoot liked this post