Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas for a non functioning lock?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Thanks again to Casey for bringing me the graphite at PY, when he had yet ANOTHER civic meeting to attend and so could not even stay for the presentation.

Sadly, the graphite lube did not help, nor did WD-40. I may try spending more time trying, but I don't think that will work.

At this point I need to saw through it? (A locksmith would be wimping out? And what would they do?)

What kind of saw do I need?
    You need a hacksaw with carbide grit blade. I mean, I've never done it, but when I thought I was going to need to, that's what my research came up with. There are videos online of people doing it. If I remember, choosng the right place to hack helps as well.

ETA that those big bolt cutters apparently work too, but there are more uses for a hacksaw, and many people already have them and only need the right blade.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 02-14-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Thanks again to Casey for bringing me the graphite at PY, when he had yet ANOTHER civic meeting to attend and so could not even stay for the presentation.

Sadly, the graphite lube did not help, nor did WD-40. I may try spending more time trying, but I don't think that will work.

At this point I need to saw through it? (A locksmith would be wimping out? And what would they do?)

What kind of saw do I need?
    I had my OnGuard lock stop working. It took me about 5 min to get it to unlock my bike from the rack with coaxing. When I got it home, I could not open it again. I tried multiple keys for it. No luck. I tried 3-in-1 lube and after sitting in the lock for several days, it would open. I can now open and close it, but I am using my kryptonite lock at the moment (with an arbus flexible lock to get the other wheel), because I am not trusting it. The OnGuard lock would regularly get wet as it would sit outside my bag in the rain as I rode, so I think it was rust and it took a while to get it all moving again.
    So, I think oil or lube will work, but it needs to be in the lock a little time. Since it is on the bike, you probably do want the saw option. A locksmith would likely do the same. You might call one and see if they have a suggested product or approach to loosen the lock if the oil is taking long.

Good luck. I think all the locks can run into this situation. It all depends on where and how we keep it.

Post Thanks / Like

Check your PM for a universal unlocking method that costs you between $25 and $50.

Post Thanks / Like

All of this could be the Universe whispering "N+1" to you.

5. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Angel Grinder. Cut through it like butter.

When keys begin to not work on U locks, chuck the U lock in the trash and get a new one.

7. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Angel Grinder. Cut through it like butter.

I'm trying to visualize an angel grinding and it is a little disconcerting. Do the wings oscillate?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20200216_102309.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  84.4 KB

Thanks to my handy tool owning friend, who is now being rewarded with coffee and bagels!