Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a non functioning lock?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas for a non functioning lock?

This AM I found my key would not open my bike lock. I could only insert it about halfway, and then there was no give. The key appeared the same as always. As a result I took transit to work this morning - by bike is locked to the stand in the bike room.

I intend to try one of my spare keys just in case, but I am not hopeful that will help. Short of paying a locksmith, or trying saw through the lock myself, what should I try? Spraying the lock with oil?

Post Thanks / Like

You might try squirting some graphite lubricant into the lock and on the key. I’ll bring some to WTFC tomorrow

3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    You might try squirting some graphite lubricant into the lock and on the key. Iíll bring some to WTFC tomorrow
    Thanks, but

I will probably not be able to conveniently arrive at coffee club tomorrow (and if I do, it will be because I've already solved the problem )

Will you be at the PY North meeting tomorrow evening?

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Thanks, but

I will probably not be able to conveniently arrive at coffee club tomorrow (and if I do, it will be because I've already solved the problem )
    (psst! N+1)

6. Likes josh, huskerdont, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Next time you buy a U-Lock, fill the keyhole with grease(not oil). The idea is that grease stays there so water has no place to enter. If you use oil, water will displace it over time. Do that every few months. After adding grease, insert your key, then take it out and remove excess grease. Repeat as needed so when using your keys, no grease gets on your hands. My current U-Lock lasted several years that way. My first U-Lock(OnGuard) lasted only 4 months without this method.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray generously with WD-40 to clean out the dirt and/or rust and get the key in and the lock moving. Let sit for a bit to let the WD-40 evaporate, then use actual oil/lube for long-term lubrication. Depending on how gunked up it is, just using lube and not bothering with WD-40 may be sufficient.

I'm a fan of Tri-Flow spray as my non-drivetrain lubricant.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a kryptonite by chance? If so, keep playing around with it. I have seen 3-4 do this, and eventually, they all open. I stopped using kryptonite's after seeing it occur so many times, and had it occur to me. It took me 20 minutes of playing with the lock, fidgeting the key around to get it to open. Just don't play so hard the key snaps in the lock...

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just seeing this now... I can bring over my can of graphite tonight if you'd like. PM me here or send a Strava note if you want to give it a try. w&w

Post Thanks / Like

You might try squirting some graphite lubricant into the lock and on the key. I’ll bring some to WTFC tomorrow
    Yes, I plan to be there. I will bring the graphite in case the other suggestions don’t work.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I plan to be there. I will bring the graphite in case the other suggestions donít work.
    Thanks so much, I will see you there then. I will let you know if Emm's idea works (but my lock is OnGuard).

Thanks also to W&W for your offer.

14. Likes wheels&wings, Steve O liked this post