Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: West Glebe Road Bridge Project

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default West Glebe Road Bridge Project

    Arlington is hosting an open house as it begins design work for a replacement of the West Glebe Road Bridge. My understanding is that they're going to reuse the piers but rebuild the rest of the bridge completely. This is a great opportunity to provide feedback to make the bridge much nicer for pedestrians and cyclists and the kiddos that go to the nearby elementary school.

    Date: 2/12/2020
    Time: 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
    Location: Gunston Middle School

    Background:
    A routine inspection in fall 2018 uncovered deterioration in the West Glebe Road Bridge at South Four Mile Run Drive that required a vehicle weight restriction and closure of the sidewalks in both directions. The County is working to return the bridge to a safe operational condition for all users and improve access for people walking, biking and driving, while also advancing the community vision of the Four Mile Run Master Plan.

    Arlington County staff, in coordination with colleagues in the City of Alexandria, will host a drop-in style open house at Gunston Middle School on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2020. Stop by anytime between 6 and 8 pm to learn more about the project, ask questions of staff and provide feedback on bridge cross sections and visual preferences.

    Project Page:
    https://projects.arlingtonva.us/even...ridge-project/

    Four Mile Run Master Plan:
    https://www.novaregion.org/DocumentC...an_10MB?bidId=

  2. Likes Steve O, Starduster liked this post
  3. #2
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Isn't the Mt. Vernon Avenue Bridge in the same condition and virtually the same design? And it's right nearby. They should tackle them both at the same time, IMO.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Isn't the Mt. Vernon Avenue Bridge in the same condition and virtually the same design? And it's right nearby. They should tackle them both at the same time, IMO.
    Yes. Similar design. I believe the Mount Vernon Bridge issue doesn’t have a weight restriction and only one sidewalk is closed. My understanding was that there was some ambiguity between the jurisdictions about who owns it which I believe has been sorted out.

    I’d assume that the rebuild is part of an approved capital budget passed by Arlington but I haven’t yet started diving that deep as part of advocacy efforts.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crystal City to L'Enfant Plaza
    Posts
    2,354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Because nothing is considered accomplished until it goes on a list where there is a potential for funding in the next decade or so.

    When the county comes to the realization that some things have to be done now, we will have better infrastructure. Putting bridges that are a safety issue in the CIP (if that is the plan) seems to be just kicking the can down the road. The phrase "an action passed is an action taken" just isn't really true.

    With respect to the five ton limit, I challenge anybody to sit in the Exxon parking lot for 10 minutes and count the number of trucks that likely exceed that size.
    Last edited by dbb; 02-01-2020 at 07:40 AM.

  6. Likes Steve O liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Yes. Similar design. I believe the Mount Vernon Bridge issue doesn’t have a weight restriction and only one sidewalk is closed. My understanding was that there was some ambiguity between the jurisdictions about who owns it which I believe has been sorted out.

    I’d assume that the rebuild is part of an approved capital budget passed by Arlington but I haven’t yet started diving that deep as part of advocacy efforts.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If a biking project is to work, Alexandria will have to be involved in putting bike lanes or a cycle track on W. Glebe. It won't do much if just Arlington puts in a bike facility.

  8. Likes Steve O, buschwacker liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    West Glebe between Valley Dr. and the bridge is listed as an “enhanced bicycle corridor” in the bike master plan. In other places that has meant a road diet + bike lanes. I suspect they’ll do lanes at least for that stretch once Arlington is ready to move on the bridge. (Frankly, the whole road needs a diet.)

  10. Likes Judd, scoot, Emm liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yuda View Post
    West Glebe between Valley Dr. and the bridge is listed as an “enhanced bicycle corridor” in the bike master plan. In other places that has meant a road diet + bike lanes. I suspect they’ll do lanes at least for that stretch once Arlington is ready to move on the bridge. (Frankly, the whole road needs a diet.)
    My impression from the times that I've ridden through is that there is excess car travel capacity and a road diet would be appropriate. Having a bike lane in addition to wider sidewalks on the bridge would make it much nicer to cross.

    Thanks for bringing up the bike master plan to prompt a review ahead of the meeting.

  12. Likes scoot, dasgeh, Emm, lordofthemark liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Reducing westbound vehicle capacity at the Glebe/Glebe intersection would be a tough sell, since auto traffic often stacks over that bridge. But only one vehicle at a time can ever legally enter the bridge eastbound. So it should be possible to remove the extra lane up until Valley and repurpose the space for bike lanes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •