Likes Likes:  236
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Freezing Saddles Side Game - What day is it?? (#nationalday)

Post Thanks / Like

Feb 29 is National Rare Disease day and I recognized the day by learning more about Ataxia.
    https://ataxia.org/what-is-ataxia/

It's a rare neurological disease and is progressive – affecting a person’s ability to walk, talk, and use fine motor skills. My friend Jeff has this disease and is doing everything he can to slow its progression. The first pic is Jeff practicing tai chi on the beach in New Smyrna Beach. The second pic is my bike doing the same in about the same spot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5586.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	21336

Name:	20200229_085508.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	21337

Post Thanks / Like

In recognition of National Rare disease Day I biked through the part of Arlington where my aunt Marion and Uncle Si used to live. A little bit on Aunt Marion's connection to rare diseases:

"In the 1970s, the FDA began to investigate what it saw as a gap in the development of therapies for certain patient populations. In June 1979, an interagency taskforce issued a report to the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare (predecessor to Health and Human Services) addressing the lack of development of “significant drugs of limited commercial value.” The taskforce found that many drugs essential for diagnosis or treatment of “rare diseases” were not available mainly because “research, development and production are deemed too expensive relative to expected economic return.”

The taskforce on significant drugs of limited commercial value was chaired by FDA’s Associate Director for New Drug Evaluation, Marion J. Finkel, M.D. After publication of the report, Dr. Finkel was named as FDA’s first Director of Orphan Products Development in 1982, and, in this position, she played an instrumental role in FDA’s implementation of the ODA. Additionally, it was Dr. Finkel who championed use of the term “orphan” exclusively for therapies for rare diseases. Accordingly, even though she did not coin the term, we have Dr. Finkel to thank for our use today of the term “orphan.” Additionally, we can also be grateful that her doing so moved us away from the less euphonious term: “significant drugs of limited commercial value” (imagine a law entitled the “Significant Drugs of Limited Commercial Value Act of 1983”!)."

Surce: http://www.fdalawblog.net/2015/02/ho...called-orphan/

Name:	Marion-J.-Finkel-(245px).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	21338
    Dr. Marion Finkel

Name:	FS HH Planning.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	21339
    At East West Coffee (photo courtesy of Nadine)

3. 03-02-2020, 06:51 PM

Reason
    March is not in February

Post Thanks / Like

Hey @SteveO what are the upcoming national days? I used to find them in the calendar but.... Maybe someone accidentally deleted them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Hey @SteveO what are the upcoming national days? I used to find them in the calendar but.... Maybe someone accidentally deleted them?
    National Day side game is over. It ran through the month of February.
    But feel free to celebrate any and all days that you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Rules:
    • The game runs Feb 1 through Feb 29.

6. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy "Bicycle Day!"

Did you know that the world's first LSD trip, on April 19, 1943, involved a bike ride? Well, it did.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Happy "Bicycle Day!"

Did you know that the world's first LSD trip, on April 19, 1943, involved a bike ride? Well, it did.

Which was the inspiration for this fun little movie:

9. Likes secstate, CBGanimal, Rod Smith liked this post