Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dave Chappelle Ride on Laugh and Get Rich Day (Feb 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Ricky- so bummed that I wonít be able to make this one. Helping install a water heater tomorrow. Please be encouraged to organize more amazing rides- Iíll be at your next one!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Start location changed to Peet’s! see top post

3. Likes elizsnyder, josh, jen_stoly, drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So last week when trying to come up with a theme for a road ride I wanted to lead for Freezing Saddles, I discovered it was "Laugh and Get Rich Day" on February 8. I played around with the concept, and came up with the Dave Chappelle - Laugh and Get Rich Ride, aka D.C. - L.A.G.e.R. Ride, because, who'd be more apropos for laughing and getting rich? That Dave was a native Washingtonian? Booya!

I figured out some places that had some significance for Mr. Chappelle, and came up with the following:
    1. Ford's Theatre - where he got his first job and worked as an usher while he was in high school
    2. Ben's Chili Bowl - he was included in a huge mural. Beside that alley was Lincoln Theatre, where he recorded Killin' Them Softly, an hour-long HBO special that, er, killed
    3. Woodlin Elementary - the elementary school he attended while growing up in Silver Spring, MD.
    4. Duke Ellington High School - prestigious arts-centric school he graduated from in 1991
    5. DC Improv - the DC comedy club that opened in 1992, and where he was the first act

I made some reflective stickers for attendees' bikes or helmets and got some patches as prizes for trivia questions.

Eleven Freezing Saddle-ites joined me for the chilly 25-mile jaunt through DC and Maryland, and I think we all had a good time.

Thanks to Shepard and Josh for the assistance!

Dave Chappelle - Laugh and Get Rich Ride (2/8/20) by ricky d, on Flickr

5. Likes Judd, JoM, bikesnick, jen_stoly, josh liked this post