Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dave Chappelle Ride on Laugh and Get Rich Day (Feb 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Dave Chappelle Ride on Laugh and Get Rich Day (Feb 8)

In honor of Laugh and Get Rich Day on February 8 (which I just discovered, and yeah, it's real), we are going to bike to different spots in DC and Maryland where local hometown hero and world famous comedian Dave Chappelle grew up, earned his chops, and made a mark. Here's the downloadable route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31873045

CHANGE OF START LOCATION: Peet's Coffee on 435 11th St NW, Washington, DC 20004.

1. When: Saturday, February 8, roling out at 10 in the AM
    2. Starting point: Peet's Coffee on 435 11th St NW, Washington, DC 20004.
    3. Route: See link above. Basically, start at Swings (14th and G St NW), go up to Silver Spring via Rock Creek Parkway, lunch in Bethesda, then back into DC via the Cap Crescent, then through Georgetown, ending at DC Improv.
    4. Pace: I'm aiming for a 12-14 mph social pace, so please leave your aero helmet and skinsuit at home. There are some long climbs, so look at the map I posted (at the bottom is the elevation profile) to get an idea of where they are. We'll be in the city, so of course there are some roads that will be crowded and with cars, but we'll regroup where it's safe if we split.
    5. Bring: a lock, lunch money, patch kit, pump, and your humor, and patience (because although I've led plenty of mountain bike rides, I can't recall leading any road rides for FS ).

Name:  peeweechappelle2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  91.4 KB

NOTES:
    • I've ridden all parts of this loop - but not all at once - with consultation from Shepard, Josh A, and Komorebi. My goal was to balance safety with a good ride. If you happen to see any red flags along the route, please feel free to PM me and I can take a closer look.
    • I know it's Freezing Saddles, but I don't want anyone to get hurt. So if it's snowing or forecasted to rain hard, I'll probably cancel the ride. If there's a possibility of that, I'll update this post with a big "NO GO" at the top of it.

If there are any more updates, I'll post them up as they develop. Cheers, rickyd.
    Last edited by drevil; 02-08-2020 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Updated with route and more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    In honor of Laugh and Get Rich Day on February 8 (which I just discovered, and yeah, it's real), we are going to bike to different spots in DC and Maryland where local hometown hero and world famous comedian Dave Chappelle grew up, earned his chops, and made a mark. I am still working on the route, but here are some key details:

1. When: Saturday, February 8, starting at 10 in the AM
    2. Starting point: This is TBD, but somewhere in downtown DC.
    3. Route: I'm still working on it with some others, but as soon as it's ironed out, I can post the route. I do know we're starting and ending in downtown DC, and heading up to Silver Spring where Dave grew up. I'm shooting for between 25-30 miles, with lunch somewhere in Silver Spring. Social 12-14 mph pace, no-drop.
    4. Bring: a lock, lunch money, and your humor (because although I've led plenty of mountain bike rides, I can't recall leading any road rides ).

Name:  peeweechappelle2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  91.4 KB

I will update this post with details when they are developed. Cheers, rickyd.
    Sounds like a great idea for an event and love the picture I'm guessing there will be film-making? I think Dave will appreciate the homage.

3. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to this! A drevil road ride sounds fun.

(and you should incorporate slurpy ride lunch options and a park please)

5. Likes JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceJockey View Post
    Sounds like a great idea for an event and love the picture I'm guessing there will be film-making? I think Dave will appreciate the homage.
    I'm not filmmaking, but you're welcome to join and do so

Post Thanks / Like

What time do you think you'll be passing Pierce Mill on Beach Drive?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrTinDC View Post
    What time do you think you'll be passing Pierce Mill on Beach Drive?
    I'm not good at maths and physics, but 11:15? We have two stops before we pass that point.

9. Likes MrTinDC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to join but I donít want to slow you down. Can you put up with a slowpoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jen_stoly View Post
    I would like to join but I don’t want to slow you down. Can you put up with a slowpoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, you are welcome to join!

13. Likes jen_stoly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jen_stoly View Post
    I would like to join but I don’t want to slow you down. Can you put up with a slowpoke?
    Jen! I'm coming - so see you tomorrow!

15. Likes jen_stoly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Looking forward to this! A drevil road ride sounds fun.
    (and you should incorporate slurpy ride lunch options and a park please)
    Looks like we'll be passing a lot of parks! Lunch will be in Bethesda, where we'll spread out and regroup. So for slurpy noodle soup- there is: Raku, Rice Paddies (pho), and other Asian places nearby. I think the lunch stop will only be 45-50 mins.

17. Likes jen_stoly, josh liked this post