Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WJLA story on the never-ending EFC bike shed fiasco

Post Thanks / Like

Default WJLA story on the never-ending EFC bike shed fiasco

https://wjla.com/news/local/east-fal...l-not-finished

"Next few months," Metro says. I won't be holding my breath. And let me get this straight, Metro hired *two* utterly incompetent contractors?

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This project is quickly becoming Arlington's equivalent of the Silver Spring Transit Center mess.

https://dc.curbed.com/2015/9/21/9919...transit-center

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Office Pool - Predict the date the EFC bike facility opens. Win!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    https://wjla.com/news/local/east-fal...l-not-finished

"Next few months," Metro says. I won't be holding my breath. And let me get this straight, Metro hired *two* utterly incompetent contractors?
    Wait!!! I think this calls for an "office" pool.

EVERYONE! - Predict the date the East Falls Church Metro Station bicycle park and ride station officially opens for business and win beverages on me at a happy hour or coffee club.

Rules:
    • Predict the date the station opens for regular use (not a ceremonial ribbon cutting or something that does not coincide with its actual opening)
    • Your date must be prior to (or exactly on) the actual opening. Dates after the opening will be disqualified.

To keep your prediction anonymous, PM me or email me your prediction. For those of you who failed to read the previous sentence and posted your prediction here, others may not predict a date that is closer than 1 week later than your date.
    Example: a prediction of May 1, 2021 is posted here. No one may post another prediction between May 1 and May 7, 2021 (or, if you do, it will be thrown out).

Pool closes January 31, 2020, at which time I will publicize the predictions.

Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Steve O; 01-21-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Notice also (from the story) the perfidious "duct bank" that lurks below the surface and snares the unsuspecting. See also: Columbia Pike.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Notice also (from the story) the perfidious "duct bank" that lurks below the surface and snares the unsuspecting. See also: Columbia Pike.
    ducts are similarly one of the rationales for the crappy new trail inside the sound wall on 66!

also, the picture in that article is making me nauseous. if a little dutch angle is good, a lot must be better, right?

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually took a photo back when it was only a year late.
    And then again a few months ago.

Attachment 20514
    Attachment 20515
    Attachment 20516

9. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I actually took a photo back when it was only a year late.
    And then again a few months ago.

Attachment 20514
    Attachment 20515
    Attachment 20516
    Do you also have pics of the "Spring 2011" signs for the Washington Blvd Trail? I lost mine.

Post Thanks / Like

And let me get this straight, Metro hired *two* utterly incompetent contractors?
    Typically US governments are required by law to hire the lowest bid contractor. This helps avoid corruption, but also often forces them to hire a company they are pretty confident is going to screw it up, cut corners, or go out of business mid-project. We need a better system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Do you also have pics of the "Spring 2011" signs for the Washington Blvd Trail? I lost mine.
    I got your back.

13. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Typically US governments are required by law to hire the lowest bid contractor. This helps avoid corruption, but also often forces them to hire a company they are pretty confident is going to screw it up, cut corners, or go out of business mid-project. We need a better system.
    They're required to hire the lowest bid qualified contractor. And in many of these cases, deficiencies or ambiguities ("errors and omissions") in the contract documents lead to problems, in other words the owner doesn't have clean hands either. Of course Metro is not going to admit that, especially if there are pending claims and counter-claims.