Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funding Cut for CCT Tunnel Under Wisconsin Ave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Funding Cut for CCT Tunnel Under Wisconsin Ave

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...dget-proposal/

I'm having a hard time understanding this decision as there used to be a bike tunnel under Wisconsin to the Georgetown branch prior to the purple line project. It be nice to know where the CCT would be crossing Wisconsin as this may involve a longer segment that's not separated from local streets.

Steve O is online now 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...dget-proposal/

I'm having a hard time understanding this decision as there used to be a bike tunnel under Wisconsin to the Georgetown branch prior to the purple line project. It be nice to know where the CCT would be crossing Wisconsin as this may involve a longer segment that's not separated from local streets.

There's a very long history to this story. Do a search on Greater Greater Washington to learn more. Also the Coalition for the CCT may have more of the backstory.

This has been a pretty big battle for quite some time--going back and forth. The Purple Line is taking up a lot of room in the existing tunnel such that they claimed they could not also fit a bicycle facility through. Eventually an alternate plan was conceived to build a parallel tunnel for bikes and peds. That is what is being killed now. Unless the battle can be turned around again.

(I wrote a few blog posts back a ways, including this one)
    Last edited by Steve O; 01-17-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems like a bait and switch then. Promise a replacement tunnel to get cyclists and recreational users on board with the purple line and then cut it later in the process.

4. Likes huskerdont, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does everyone but me have a subscription to WAPO? Seems like I get a popup blocking the article every time I click one of these links.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the anger at the supposed bait and switch, though I recall the promises less than absolute. I'm not for making this a hill to die on, though. The price tag is pretty steep for avoiding one intersection, and it's not like you can cruise through at speed anyway, given that there's a signalized crossing a block to the West at extremely crowded Woodmont Ave.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    Does everyone but me have a subscription to WAPO? Seems like I get a popup blocking the article every time I click one of these links.
    I do. I think it's a small price to pay for having local, national and international reporting.

8. Likes Judd, Steve O, Subby, secstate liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    I get the anger at the supposed bait and switch, though I recall the promises less than absolute. I'm not for making this a hill to die on, though. The price tag is pretty steep for avoiding one intersection, and it's not like you can cruise through at speed anyway, given that there's a signalized crossing a block to the West at extremely crowded Woodmont Ave.
    I'm not an expert at this area, but from my experience, the tunnel is the difference between a trail that could serve all ages, and one that only serves current riders. Seems like a difference worth fighting for.

10. Likes ursus, Steve O, obscurerichard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Without the tunnel, the route will go through a park, onto a PBL for a short block to the intersection at a busy street (Wisconsin Ave.), then continue in a PBL for a long block to the Woodmont intersection. The light at Wisconsin would be converted to have a dedicated pedestrian and cyclist crossing period. The crossing of Wisconsin is less than ideal, to be sure, but what price one intersection? I'm happier that other, worse crossings will be grade separated, like Connecticut Ave where speeding cross traffic is a big problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I do. I think it's a small price to pay for having local, national and international reporting.

I have trouble bringing myself to pay for their particular spin on things,

13. Likes scoot liked this post
    Steve O is online now 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Without the tunnel, the route will go through a park, onto a PBL for a short block to the intersection at a busy street (Wisconsin Ave.), then continue in a PBL for a long block to the Woodmont intersection. The light at Wisconsin would be converted to have a dedicated pedestrian and cyclist crossing period. The crossing of Wisconsin is less than ideal, to be sure, but what price one intersection? I'm happier that other, worse crossings will be grade separated, like Connecticut Ave where speeding cross traffic is a big problem.
    I'm not a fan of the "I'm happier that..." as a reason for not doing something else. We should be advocating for all these improvements.
    The tunnel is a piece of infrastructure that will be there for generations. As I described in my blog post, I estimated the cost of the tunnel per daily user is less than the cost of the Purple Line (those were old numbers, so it may have changed, but even if so, the difference is not that big either way). And the Purple Line will accrue significant operating costs that the tunnel will not.

Everything about accommodating bicycles in the tunnel has made it clear that people riding bikes are considered a lesser priority: "Here's something that should make you people happy. Take it instead of this first class, world-class improvement. We don't want to spend much money on you, even though we promised." For me, that is one of the key reasons for continuing the fight.

15. Likes huskerdont, scoot, dasgeh liked this post