Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arlington Stil Silver For Bicycle Friendly Community

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Arlington Stil Silver For Bicycle Friendly Community

The League of American Cyclists announced that Arlington remains a Silver level. From Arlington's press release:
    https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/rele...dly-community/

The report card is here: https://bikeleague.org/sites/default...lington_VA.pdf

2. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That seems about right, particularly about enforcement. I would've added the failure of Arlington DES to give the maintenance of bicycle-related facilities much priority or to require safe accommodations during road construction. Arlington continues to do a good job talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, like reducing street cleaning to three times a year.

Many of the flexi-bollards are coming loose on the Pershing PBL east of Washington Blvd. No one seems to care (or notice). The Quincy PBL is on my regular route, and is a sad joke. I've started using the regular traffic lanes southbound. Between the Residence Inn, the Domino's Pizza franchise, and the Mercedes dealer, there's always some sort of blockage to contend with.

5. Likes Steve O, wheels&wings, scoot liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The League of American Cyclists announced that Arlington remains a Silver level.
    Good, and thanks to the League for its fair and objective rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Arlington continues to do a good job talking the talk, but not walking the walk.
    Agreed. Every year Arlington submits its application arguing for gold. But there is no way Arlington deserves to be gold. As I have said in the BAC meetings for years, if Arlington wants to be gold, then it's got to step up its game and earn it.

7. Likes huskerdont, wheels&wings, scoot liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Arlington is pretty great - and we should celebrate what arlco has accomplished.

But there are holes in the system - and arlco has essentially a deaf ear re fixing those. Enforcement is a problem. The popo is out of sync w arlco. and when you ask arlco and popo to go off and talk amongst themselves - and come back with the arlington position, you get crickets. infrastructure problems outside the main drag - you might as well bang you head against a wall. arlco pushes out info about the problem of speeding on wide residential streets - and then wont do squat for traffic mitigation. and then there is the clusterf that is school drop off zones.

The trails are wonderful. Getting to the trails is perilous.

9. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m curious about the Bicycle Friendly Laws and Ordinances category. The League rates Arlington “Good.” Yet Virginia (and three other states, AL, NC, and MD) still follow the outdated and often-punitive Contributory Negligence doctrine, and still allow Right-Turns-on-Red with minimal exception. Arlington simply follows the state laws, but if leaders had back-bone I think they would be fighting these issues at the state level. And then there are Arlington-specific rules like the one requiring home builders to install one and sometimes two driveways for cars, with no exception – not even for public bicycle parking. I’m not convinced Arlington’s laws deserve the “Good” rating.

11. Likes Steve O, rcannon100, scoot liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

What's tough is that I see Arlington getting *better* but, the pace is very slow, and they're not getting good enough fast enough. That's a hard line to walk -- "thanks for installing a PBL on Quincy, but please fix it so it's entirely protected" is hard than "we need protection on Quincy".

Anyway, onward and upward.

Oh, and Parks is so much worse with their maintenance (bridges are still out, with no timeline for fixing, from the July 8, 2019, storm) and MOTs (e.g. detouring the Custis to Lee)

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the silver list, it’s mostly a bunch of mediocre cities to ride in, which fits Arlington well. The only place in the DMV to get gold was DC, which is probably right as DC is on a much better building path than Arlington despite setbacks.

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    I’m curious about the Bicycle Friendly Laws and Ordinances category. The League rates Arlington “Good.” Yet Virginia (and three other states, AL, NC, and MD) still follow the outdated and often-punitive Contributory Negligence doctrine, and still allow Right-Turns-on-Red with minimal exception. Arlington simply follows the state laws, but if leaders had back-bone I think they would be fighting these issues at the state level. And then there are Arlington-specific rules like the one requiring home builders to install one and sometimes two driveways for cars, with no exception – not even for public bicycle parking. I’m not convinced Arlington’s laws deserve the “Good” rating.
    I looked at Arlington and Alexandria's (also a Silver) scorecard last night and the law section is tough for both of them since there's a lack of local control. Municipalities do recommend legislative items every year. There's some quiet efforts at the moment to try to align the northern Virginia advocates to ask their municipalities to support a common legislative agenda.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    Many of the flexi-bollards are coming loose on the Pershing PBL east of Washington Blvd. No one seems to care (or notice). The Quincy PBL is on my regular route, and is a sad joke.
    Just curious if anyone was reporting these issues? I was biking on the Custis earlier this week bitching to myself about all the leaves on the trail & then realized they may not know about the trail conditions through there. (They can’t fix what they don’t know, right?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk