Likes Likes:  94
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Maybe chill out a little

Post Thanks / Like

Do I dare stick my beak in...?

I come at this from a motorsports-influenced background. Many decades ago, I was something of an outlaw and ran European Code headlights from the legendary French automotive lighting manufacturers CIBIE and S.E.V. Marchal. In defiance of the sealed beam requirements in this country at the time. For more downward range and better light distribution *without* blinding an oncoming motorist. DOT eventually allowed and adopted that technology in the 90's. I am also influenced by the kid's bike my Dad bought for me while we were in Frankfurt, West Germany, 1960. A 20 incher from Rixe that was unlike *anything* sold in the U.S., even from Schwinn. I am unsure if Mel Pinto ever imported one of these. Fully lugged and brazed frame, cool smoked oyster paint highlights, cottered crank, fully pneumatic Continental tires- a downscaled German commuter bike, right down to a generator powered light setup with the StVZO "squiggle" & alphanumeric approval code. Good enough to actually see the road in front of me.

So by now I am probably famous/infamous for the businesslike and powerful dyno lights I run on both my 40 year old Trek and the rescued Kettler CityShopper. The beauty of the Busch + Muller headlights on both bikes is that they are like a good automotive low beam light- usable light on the road *without* blinding the oncoming cyclist. Properly and precisely aimed of course. You may thank the German StVZO traffic regulations for this. Also powering a tail light that is bright enough to safely be a part of street traffic. My wife's Breezer Uptown did not come wired for dyno lighting, so I installed the battery & rechargeable equivalents on hers, so we can be romantic and ride into the night safely. To me, a bike is not complete until it is set up for night work. How I roll...

On blinkies [braces for impact]... I have always, from the first VistaLites on, considered blinkies a *defensive* gesture, ranging from "Gee I hope they see me" to "See me DAMMIT!", depending on how bright it is. I mourn that we actually *need* to have to protect ourselves on the road like this, but that's where it is. But on the W&OD, you no longer have to worry about dump trucks turning across your bow. *You* are now the biggest meanest MF'er on the trail, and can terrify joggers if you chose (we hope you don't). A defensive mode is no longer necessary here. I have had my share of misadventures with blinkies- when I commuted along the W&OD before dawn, an oncoming rider took exception to my B+M IQ-X headlight, even though my lamp's cutoff was well *below* his eye level, and I was met with his flashbulb of a strobe square in my face. "Dude!" Another misadventure as a driver reminded me that blinkies are harder to gauge closing distances with. No, I did not hit the cyclist- it was simply a close call.
    Last edited by Starduster; 08-12-2021 at 11:21 AM.

2. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post

So by now I am probably famous/infamous for the businesslike and powerful dyno lights I run on both my 40 year old Trek and the rescued Kettler CityShopper. The beauty of the Busch + Muller headlights on both bikes is that they are like a good automotive low beam light- usable light on the road *without* blinding the oncoming cyclist. Properly and precisely aimed of course. You may thank the German StVZO traffic regulations for this. Also powering a tail light that is bright enough to safely be a part of street traffic. My wife's Breezer Uptown did not come wired for dyno lighting, so I installed the battery & rechargeable equivalents on hers, so we can be romantic and ride in the night safely. To me, a bike is not complete until it is set up for night work. How I roll...
    Agree, love my dynamo-powered B+M Luxos-U and taillight. The setup can also serve as an auxiliary power source for the Wahoo if I forget to charge it.

As I approach oncoming cyclists at a different angle, I've decided that a "too bright" headlight or strobe is my problem, not their's, so I shield my eyes with my hand. Frankly, I'd rather do this and know where the oncoming rider is than have them go entirely dark by covering or killing their light. And if my headlight is too bright for your knees (where the beam cut-off hits), that's probably your problem, too.

4. Likes Starduster, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    And if my headlight is too bright for your knees (where the beam cut-off hits), that's probably your problem, too.
    Well, we *do* have a segment of our community running 2 and 3 wheel recumbents, and they've always been polite to me.

6. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Well, we *do* have a segment of our community running 2 and 3 wheel recumbents, and they've always been polite to me.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

8. Likes Starduster liked this post