Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Maybe chill out a little

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I'm with huskerdont on this one. Sometimes I'll drive up behind 2 bikes. If they're solid lights, they can be mistaken at a distance for poorly shaped rear car tail lights. Blinky lights are always either peds or bikes so I recognize those quick.

At the end of the day though when I'm driving, the first thing I consistently see are reflective things. The ones on the back of ortlieb panniers are AMAZING. I saw and noticed those wayyy in advance of any other red light on a bike I was driving behind earlier this week. Giant reflective patch = clearly not a car so I immediately knew I needed to up my caution level. I've also gotten comments from cars that they loved them when they saw mine while driving behind me at night.
    Reflecting backpacks like the Oertleib and the stripes on the Banjo Brothers such are a huge passive help in any cases where there are headlights.

I would like to modify my original post though; the cyclist was probably a decent bit less than a mile away. While we drove a mile at 55 or so, of course he was cycling along at 15 to 20. There's math that can determine that distance, I'm told.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    Got a link?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nite-Ize-...lect/173998458

3. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by run/bike View Post
    Honest question: how do you convey to the front strobers that they ARE a legitimate safety hazard on the trail after dark. I'm not advocating an expletive-laden tirade or anything, but a kind (and firm) "Please turn off the strobe!" in the roughly two seconds that you're passing them seems pretty reasonable to let someone know they're really not being cool to their fellow trail users. (I'll admit to deploying this a few times recently after dark on the Custis, where the strobe effect bouncing off the sound walls was completely blinding) Passive aggressive? I don't know. Again you only have 1.5-2 seconds of interaction in passing. You could always stop and block their path to convey your request, but that could be perceived as, you know, aggressive-aggressive.

I'm also pretty sure strobers know exactly what they're doing. It only takes one encounter with someone running a front strobe for any normal person to be like, "yeah, definitely shouldn't do that to anyone". And a strobe being a strobe, there's no way for the operator to claim that they didn't know it was in that mode or forgot to switch it to solid. Dude, you KNOW.

NOTE: When talking about strobes I mean legit bike lights operating in strobe/flash mode, not those 3 lumen planet bike blinky lights. Run those bad boys all you want in whatever configuration. We're cool.
    Well, I think yelling in any fashion is useless, simply because the other rider--particularly one who is unaware enough to run a front blinkie in the first place--isn't likely to understand what's being conveyed. I *assume* that people yelling at me at night are yelling at me to cover my front light, but very rarely am I able to fully understand whatever it is they're yelling.

But to the bigger question, I just don't know. Sometimes I'll very deliberately cover my face to demonstrate that I'm being blinded, but obviously a rider has to have some level of situational awareness to get what I'm doing. But as you said, it's frankly hard for me to understand how someone running a front blinkie on the trail doesn't realize it's suboptimal, even just from a forward visibility perspective. Then again I have, no shit, been yelled at by riders (for not covering my light) who cover their handlebar-mounted light but are running an even brighter helmet-mounted light at the same time...some people are just self-centered f&*ckin' idiots.

5. Likes Hancockbs, run/bike liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I would like to modify my original post though; the cyclist was probably a decent bit less than a mile away. While we drove a mile at 55 or so, of course he was cycling along at 15 to 20. There's math that can determine that distance, I'm told.
    No there's not, dummy; it's very complicated. Have you not noticed that as soon as a person on a bike has been passed, they cease their forward motion? That's why, as a driver, I can turn immediately right without any concern.

7. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Reflecting backpacks like the Oertleib and the stripes on the Banjo Brothers such are a huge passive help in any cases where there are headlights.
    These Salzmann spoke reflectors are awesome, and I have them on all my wheels. I just use a couple on each wheel, 1 on each side of the tube valve. They're relatively inexpensive, work really well, and don't look as bike geeky as regular spoke reflectors (NTTAWWT).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-01-16_15-53-08.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	20838

9. Likes Hancockbs, buschwacker, SpaceJockey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    These Salzmann spoke reflectors are awesome, and I have them on all my wheels. I just use a couple on each wheel, 1 on each side of the tube valve. They're relatively inexpensive, work really well, and don't look as bike geeky as regular spoke reflectors (NTTAWWT).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-01-16_15-53-08.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	20838

Why is the package of (36 Pieces) so much more than the package of 36 pieces? Thanks for the linky!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I have biked a lot for a long time, and I do not think a blinking light helps identify bikes. It just makes it hard to tell how far away you are.
    This is a sign of the overall problem - we all find different things helpful and not helpful or annoying or whatever it is that isn't just how we each like it. I like the blinking lights and the solid lights (don't cover them up and disappear - did you fall? were you attacked? are you hiding to attack me? is there a problem in the trail that I need to worry about? (on parts of the W&OD, people seem to cover them way before I can see the person with my light so these thoughts run through my head. On the Custis, there are too many turns and street lights)). You and others do not like these for all sorts of different logic-based reasons. Is it right or wrong? I doubt we can find something that makes everyone happy. At some point we all just need to deal with everyone else to keep surviving.

12. Likes Brandon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    Why is the package of (36 Pieces) so much more than the package of 36 pieces? Thanks for the linky!
    That's funny, I'm not sure. Needless to say, I get the ones without the parentheses