Likes Likes:  210
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

It is always fun to find new destinations using your bike as your mode of transportation. Our area has a lot of parks, including national, state, regional, county and local community parks. Some parks are easy to find and some are truly hidden gems. For example, there is a park less than a mile from my house that we found by accident. We were out walking in a neighborhood and stumbled on Fairfax Villa Park. While I wouldn't recommend someone drive for miles to use this park (there are better, more interesting parks nearby) we use this park's trails when we want to go for a quick shady short walk.

Here are the rules:

1. The park must be a national, state, regional, county or local community park that is open to the public at all times during the hours the park is open.
    2. The park must be referred to as a "park" and must have a sign designating it as a park.
    3. You must arrive at the park by bike. For example, if you drive your car to a park as a launching point for a bike ride you can not use the launching point park as your park for the pointless prize.
    4. While you can visit the park as frequently as you would like, you can only count the park one time for Freezing Saddles.
    5. Take a picture of your bike with the park sign. (Sorry, no park sign, no park point.)
    6. Include #FS2020ParkFinder and the name of the park in your Strava title and post a picture of the park sign in your Strava feed.
    7. You will only receive credit for one park for each Strava ride. If you go to multiple parks within a day, each park must be accounted for on separate Strava rides.

I hope you can find a few new parks in your travels by bike. If there is something special that you would like to share about the park, especially the smaller, less known parks (has multiple walking trails, great picnic shelters, can rent boats) you can include it in the "description" section so the rest of us can learn more about the park and, perhaps, decide to make that park as destination.

Have fun finding new parks for recreation and relaxation!!
    Last edited by camiller; 01-15-2020 at 11:42 PM. Reason: rules clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Do I have to do any specific activity in the park? Or is just a visit sufficient enough? What about multiple parks on a ride?

Usually the only thing I do while on a bike ride at a park is use a port-a-potty, or maybe ride the bike around a trail. Hiking or other activities in bike shoes doesn't work very well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    Do I have to do any specific activity in the park? Or is just a visit sufficient enough? What about multiple parks on a ride?

Usually the only thing I do while on a bike ride at a park is use a port-a-potty, or maybe ride the bike around a trail. Hiking or other activities in bike shoes doesn't work very well for me.
    Good questions. My intent was was really to give people ideas for a destination, find new parks that you may want to return to another day or find a way to get to some of the better known parks by bicycle. As such, you do not need to do any specific activity at the park except to take a picture of the park sign with your bike in the picture.

Regarding getting credit for going to multiple parks on a ride I am going to need to consult with the technology folks. I don't have any issue with visiting multiple parks. I just don't know what is required to identify and count the ride/park.

4. Likes Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#FS2020Parkfinder Day #1

1. Spirit of Justice Park which has no sign. Iím going to talk to someone about this on Monday.
    2. West Potomac Park
    3. East Potomac Park. Side note- same friggin location just one half is West and the other East. Makes no sense to me, but did a small loop just in case.
    4. Gravelly Point Park. Yes technically this is a park according to the NPS sign fine print.
    5. WOD Regional Park.
    6. Glen Carlyn Park
    7. East Falls Church Park

I love how in DC just by tooling around your hit 7 parks almost by accident. Iím very lucky that I work on a campus full of parks, but unfortunately they are massively underutilized.

6. Likes Boomer2U, buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More pictures...

8. Likes Edelweiss, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

#FS2020 ParkFinder Entry #2

8) Hollywood Park per google maps, but just looks like an overgrown forest. No park sign, maybe a future park?
    9) National Memorial Park- which is actually just Hollywood Cemetery. Cemetery for pets, Buddhists, those not dead yet, and a baby cemetery.
    10) Jefferson District Park which has an amazing mini golf course.
    11) Dunn Loring Park
    12) Idylwood Park
    13) Strawberry Park- not much of a park- fake turf, no sign, usually a million kids running off their sugar highs.
    Last edited by SarahBee; 01-11-2020 at 05:11 PM.

10. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More pics Entry #2

12. Likes Robbie Rob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#FS2020ParkFinder Royal Lake in Fairfax...because even when you are brewery hopping you can find Robyne at a Park!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Likes Boomer2U, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#FSParkFinder - Because even when on a team ride thereís even time to find a new park!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes CBGanimal, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like when the girls were little I would take them to the park and they could horseplay! #FS2020ParkFinder Windmill Hill Park and #FS2020ParkFinder Jones Point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Likes Boomer2U liked this post