Likes Likes:  499
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

Post Thanks / Like

Of course nearly everyone can get the W&OD... but my teammates suggested that I submit it as my first #ParkFinder submission.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed-16.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	22805

2. Likes camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not clear on how the "average miles per park" is calculated for an individual. Could you explain that a bit more?

Post Thanks / Like

The “Central Park” of Madrid is called “El Retiro” although it is closed because of the SNOW...I rode by and got some pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Likes bikesnick, camiller, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On our New Deal ride today I came across this park. While I usually avoid parks and other stuff named for people, I was on a mission to do the New Deal ride and check "parkfinder" off along the way. Since the Parkfinder Master Mind was with us on the ride (and thus could see that I took the photo on the non-dog park side), I grabbed this one quickly before the other two Freezing Saddles contestants could do so.

So if you wonder who James Hunter is, this is the Arl Co writeup: James Hunter Park has a plaza terrace, open lawn, demonstration gardens, water feature and adjacent dog park (closes at 9 p.m.). The creation of an automated water management system to capture and reuse rainwater on-site and the integration of renewable solar power. The dog park is closed for maintenance on Mon., Wed. and Fri. from 10 a.m. to noon.

The park honors James B. Hunter III, an Arlington County Board member from 1990 to 1997, who is also the namesake of the James B. Hunter Human Rights Awards.

Name:	File_002 (9).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	22823
    Last edited by Kbikeva; 01-16-2021 at 10:17 PM. Reason: corrected typo

7. Likes CBGanimal, camiller, kwarkentien liked this post
  8. 01-16-2021, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Morven Park is just off Old Waterford Road on the west side of Leesburg, VA.

Name:	unnamed-22.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	22873
    Last edited by Thor; 01-17-2021 at 10:24 PM.

10. Likes CBGanimal, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty cool park. It has a fantastic soccer arena and is beautifully landscaped. Just off the northeast corner is a marker telling about this area being the home of Laura Ratcliffe, spy for the Confederacy. She saved John Mosby's life one night by going out to tell him about Union soldiers sent out to ambush him. She was also admired by J.E.B. Stuart. Her actual grave with marker is across the Dulles Toll Road right in front of the entrance to the Washington Dulles Mariott Suites (Worldgate Center).

Right across the road from Arrowbrook Park is a lovely little pond area with a nice boardwalk. It's delightful on warm days.

Name:	File_003 (6).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	22910

12. Likes camiller, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Birdhouse Park in Del Ray at the corner of Dewitt and Oxford Sts. There are dozens of birdhouses hanging from the trees in honor of Charles W. Hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes camiller, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Northern Fauquier Community Park is on the John Marshall Hwy one mile east of Marshall, Virginia.

Name:	unnamed-27.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	22930

16. Likes camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    I am not clear on how the "average miles per park" is calculated for an individual. Could you explain that a bit more?
    At the end of the game it is the total mileage associated with your park rides divided by the total number of parks. You only get credit for one park per ride.

Thor, I cannot tell if you are showing up on the leaderboard (be sure to place #parkfinder in your title) but you can see how everyone is doing by checking here: https://freezingsaddles.org/pointles...tag/parkfinder
    Last edited by camiller; 01-18-2021 at 12:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    At the end of the game it is the total mileage associated with your park rides divided by the total number of parks. You only get credit for one park per ride.

Thor, I cannot tell if you are showing up on the leaderboard (be sure to place #parkfinder in your title) but you can see how everyone is doing by checking here: https://freezingsaddles.org/pointles...tag/parkfinder
    Thor, time to start cropping/splitting your rides in Strava if you want to be competitive. Gotta minimize your miles per park. Or more effectively, don't tag your rides until the last day or so, so that others remain complacent.