Likes Likes:  105
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Daddy View Post
    Seeing more pictures pop up in this thread of smiling faces without bikes in the frame.

The OP does state: "You must take a picture of your bike with the park sign."

Not sure how lenient the Keeper of this Pointless Prize will be on this stipulation, but wanted to call it out so there aren't disappointed Frozen Saddlites!
    There is no requirement to post pictures on this thread. The requirement is to post pictures of the bike with the park sign on Strava. Sometimes, in addition to posting picture of my bike with the park sign, I have posted additional pictures of the park. I am assuming that is what is going on with some of the non bike and park pictures posted on this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    The intent of the ParkFinder pointless prize was to recognize and locate our public national, state, regional and local "parks". In that manner, everyone is on the same playing field and the "green space" is not subject to interpretation.

... and, in the spirit of the game, I am only looking for things that are "parks".

I just want this to be a fun game. I, for one, am enjoying discovering new parks around me. I have found several new (to me) places to have a picnic, read a book, take a hike or play on the swings. My game-my rules.
    Fair enough, and thank you for clarifying your intent. Using your criteria above, I have deleted the #FS2020ParkFinder from 3 of my Strava posts, and correspondingly edited those entries [retracted] on this thread for the record.

Moving forward, I’ll focus on “parks” where one can have a picnic, read a book, take a hike or play on the swings (and hopefully ride a bike for bonus points;-)

#gofindyourpark

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Google and Arlington County disagree with you...it’s dedicated open space maintained by the County, including a connector trail to public pathways, with full time public access. That is the epitome of “public open space” (aka “park”).
    The sign you showed was not the park sign, though. It was a sign designating the neighborhood name.
    I don’t know anyone who would call Ballston a “park”
    Exactly. Your picture of a neighborhood sign is analogous to taking a picture of a sign saying "Ballston" and calling it a park.
    Perhaps a better analogy would be taking a picture of your bike with a town sign saying "College Park" and claiming that's a park.
    Last edited by Steve O; 01-17-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Perhaps a better analogy would be taking a picture of your bike with a town sign saying "College Park" and claiming that's a park.
    Ha, there are lots of signs with College Park.
    Thanks camiller for posting this PP. I just started last week and having a destination park to visit makes the exploring fun. Boomer and Josh set the bar high!

5. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    That is another surprious argument which doesn’t work either.

The particular patch of ground that I photographed is designated as public open, green access and is protected by Arlington County covenants (see bike/pedestrian trail in background behind the sign).

Here are the specific references from Arlington County for that neighborhood re public, green, access:

“The County also has four stretches of right-of-way used by the community for open space or pedestrian and bicycle paths:
    • Path along the sound barrier of I-66.
    • Path at 14th Street, between Ohio and Powhatan Streets. [my photo]
    • Open space and bike path along the “Greenway” on Ohio Street/John Marshall between 22nd Street and Washington Boulevard.
    • Grassy median on Potomac Street at 21st Street.”

Your generic references to “Ballston” and “College Park” aren’t relevant to this specific subsection of “Highland Park”

Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-17-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

That is another surprious argument which doesn’t work either.

The particular patch of ground that I photographed is designated as public open, green access and is protected by Arlington County covenants (see bike/pedestrian trail in background behind the sign).
    Sorry if the word "analogy" has you confused.
    If I took a picture of a sign that said "College Park" or "University Park" that happened to be on a parcel of public land, would that count?

I think part of your confusion is you are not from Arlington. That sign is part of the Neighborhood Conservation Program. Neighborhoods place them around their periphery (or wherever they like) to identify themselves. That neighborhood is called Highland Park - Overlee Knolls. Here's another sign that says the same thing about 1/2 mile away from your sign, also on public land. There are probably a couple more of them, but I didn't have time to take Streetview down all the streets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	20849

Your sign is not designating a park; it's designating a neighborhood that happens to have the word "Park" in its name.
    Last edited by Steve O; 01-17-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you ignored my previous post @steveO. I took a picture of a bike path in a greenway that’s has a public right of way to the Custis and W&OD trail, that happened to have said sign on it. I’m familiar enough with Arlington County to know that the parcel I photographed is covered my the master plan and legally required to grant public access as a connector trail. So I was documenting a particular parcel giving public access that leads to a Park, which is relevant to this PP. It is not just a random sign anyway that has the name “park” in it.

Your picture is not the sign that I documented, nor does it have a bike path that leads to a Park. My pic does.

Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-19-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This was a really hard Park to access; no street access, signage nor visibility, as it’s surrounded by a housing development and school.

Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-20-2020 at 07:33 AM.

10. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	20871

12. Likes Steve O, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoM View Post
    Thanks camiller for posting this PP. I just started last week and having a destination park to visit makes the exploring fun.
    JoM, I'm glad you like the PP. I agree with you. Some days I don't have any ideas of where to ride and I get tired of doing the same old loops. Selecting a park is helping me to explore and find new places to ride my bike.

14. Likes Boomer2U liked this post