Likes Likes:  211
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    I guess you ignored my previous post @steveO. I took a picture of a bike path in a greenway that has a public right of way to the Custis and W&OD trail, that happened to have said sign on it. I’m familiar enough with Arlington County to know that the parcel I photographed is covered my the master plan and legally required to grant public access as a connector trail. So I was documenting a particular parcel giving public access that leads to a Park, which is relevant to this PP. It is not just a random sign anyway that has the name “park” in it.

Your picture is not the sign that I documented, nor does it have a bike path that leads to a Park. My pic does.
    The rules say this:
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    The park must be referred to as a "park" and must have a sign designating it as a park.
    Your sign is not a sign designating the park, it is designating the neighborhood, which happens to have the word "Park" in its name. True it is not a "random" sign (what sign is?), but it was not placed there to designate the park. The reason I posted the other sign is to show that your sign is not a "park" sign. The other sign also happens to be along another trail that is set aside for public use, just like yours. Are both of those different park-like places called "Highland Park - Overlee Knolls?" No. That's the name of the neighborhood.

Here's a similar example elsewhere in Arlington, in the Lyon Park neighborhood.
    Here's a neighborhood sign, designating the neighborhood. There are several of these around the perimeter, which may or may not happen to be placed in public spaces.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neighborhood sign.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	20872

Here's the sign that designates the Lyon Park park itself:

Name:	actual lyon park.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	20873

Your sign is an example of the first type. That it coincidentally happens to be in a park-like setting, does not transform it into a park sign. It's a neighborhood sign. You took a picture of your bike with a neighborhood sign, not a park sign. Doesn't count.

2. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - ParkFinder

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The rules say this:

Your sign is not a sign designating the park, it is designating the neighborhood, which happens to have the word "Park" in its name. True it is not a "random" sign (what sign is?), but it was not placed there to designate the park. The reason I posted the other sign is to show that your sign is not a "park" sign. The other sign also happens to be along another trail that is set aside for public use, just like yours. Are both of those different park-like places called "Highland Park - Overlee Knolls?" No. That's the name of the neighborhood.

Here's a similar example elsewhere in Arlington, in the Lyon Park neighborhood.
    Here's a neighborhood sign, designating the neighborhood. There are several of these around the perimeter, which may or may not happen to be placed in public spaces.

Name:	neighborhood sign.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	20872

Here's the sign that designates the Lyon Park park itself:

Name:	actual lyon park.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	20873

Your sign is an example of the first type. That it coincidentally happens to be in a park-like setting, does not transform it into a park sign. It's a neighborhood sign. You took a picture of your bike with a neighborhood sign, not a park sign. Doesn't count.
    Maybe you overlooked that I had retracted this particular park entry on Jan 17th (see my edited post above) after it was called out by the #FA2020ParkFinder sponsor? Not sure why you need to double down on that point
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Your pic of a sign with a bike and a sidewalk is not a relevant example of what I posted: I posted a designated greenway by Arlington County with a public access bike path in a connecting to the Custis and W&OD trails (and parks). Your cited pic doesn’t depict either a public greenway or a bike path.

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-30-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a subsection w/in Pine Springs Park which would be cool to revisit when the rhododendrons are in bloom

Post Thanks / Like

These are all from National Memorial Park, which has an ornamental garden subsection that is open to the public. There is also an adjacent, undeveloped, and large wooded track, designated on maps by Fairfax County as “Hollywood Park” but doesn’t have a sign anywhere (so I did not include it in my tally)

Post Thanks / Like

(Above) James Lee School Site Park seems to still being developed and Fairfax County has yet to erect a proper Park sign, so I parked my bike next to the playground sign

Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-20-2020 at 06:46 AM.

7. Likes camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics from Howard E Herman Park...

Falls Church City Council renamed what is commonly referred to as the Hamlet- Rees tract as the Howard E. Herman Stream Valley Park, in honor of retired 40-year employee Howard Herman

Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-20-2020 at 07:02 AM.

9. Likes CBGanimal, camiller, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey and I tripped over these two parks after coffee and Pancakes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Likes smb9600, camiller, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_1540.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	20884

Do I get bonus points for miles away from DC?
    Last edited by AlanA; 01-20-2020 at 09:20 PM.

13. Likes camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post

Name:	IMG_1540.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	20884

Do I get bonus points for miles away from DC?
    I like how you think! I had to google the park to see where it was located. Nice find!

15. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Here are the rules (snipped for brevity):

• You will only receive credit for one park for each Strava ride. If you go to multiple parks within a day, each park must be accounted for on separate Strava rides.

I hope you can find a few new parks in your travels by bike. If there is something special that you would like to share about the park, especially the smaller, less known parks (has multiple walking trails, great picnic shelters, can rent boats) you can include it in the "description" section so the rest of us can learn more about the park and, perhaps, decide to make that park as destination.

Have fun finding new parks for recreation and relaxation!!
    As a park lover, I love this game. I love it so much that I started gaming the system as well by splitting up all my rides between parks so that they're their own ride on Strava. It might kill my average mile per ride, but it'll up my park finder count!!!

For clarification, do "Park and Ride"s count as parks? I mean, they're publicly run, they're infrastructure and they contribute to the environmental well-being by removing cars from the roads, right?!?