Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: BAFS 2020 Team 1

Post Thanks / Like

Default BAFS 2020 Team 1

This thread is the BAFS 2020 Team 1 public space for the team to communicate with each other to organize groups rides, etc. I believe this thread will be able to be viewed by all Bike Arlington Forum members and all BAFS 2020 teams.

Once the Team 1 members are announced you will need to get on your Strava to request to join the BAFS 2020 Team 1 Strava Club at https://www.strava.com/clubs/576556 so your points will be counted for the team.

I plan to be at the happy hour on Jan 14th and hope to meet Team 1 members there. Our team name will be decided by a consensus of the team members. If there’s enough of us at the Jan 14th happy hour we may decide the team name then.

Jim B

2. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn, QuikAF77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Team 1. Bicycle 1. The first bicycle was invented in 1817 and patented in 1818 by German Baron Karl von Drais, a civil servant to the Grand Duke of Baden in Germany. His Laufmaschine (German for "running machine") was the first commercially successful two-wheeled, steerable, human-propelled machine. In recognition of the first bicycle and the inventor, the Team 1 name is Eisenlaufmascinen which we understand to be the correct German translation of “ice running machines”.

4. Likes QuikAF77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An "ice running machine" would be eislaufmaschine. Eisenlaufmaschine is "iron running machine."

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks arlcxrider. I found that same translation from the google translate. Is this your source?
    However google translate does show that ice as a verb is eisen. Machine is maschine and the plural machines is maschinen.
    One of our team members got our team name translation from a native German speaker so we think we've got it right. Eisenlaufmaschinen (Ice Running Machines).

Post Thanks / Like

College German. [Google translate delenda est...] Anyway, Eis here is a modifier (more precisely a "determiner") of "Laufmaschinen." In these compound words the determiners don't decline or express number, only the base word maschine. In your case the -en suffix forms the plural, but eis (or lauf for that matter) wouldn't change.

We all have hobbies, and one of mine appears to be pedantry...