Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default January 2020

14th Street Bridge - there's some glass on the Virginia side of the bridge just before the ramp down to the MVT. I tried to brush some aside but there's still enough to watch out for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    14th Street Bridge - there's some glass on the Virginia side of the bridge just before the ramp down to the MVT. I tried to brush some aside but there's still enough to watch out for.
    Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

While not heavy snow, by 6:30pm there were pockets of snow and slush on roads and trails. I was on roads in Lyon Park and Clarendon to Ballston, and then the Custis trail. The roads and bits, especially on the bike lanes and Custis has sections of snow, sections of slush and just wet areas. The temperatures may get below freezing tonight, so I half-fear the the Custis will be unpleasant in the morning. Crunchy snow I can handle. Ruts are passable. Icy areas, where puddles were, will be less fun. Are other trails any better? In Arlington, it might get just below freezing, so maybe it won't be too bad, but sunrise is so late that I expect issues in the morning - especially on the hilly Custis. Maybe it is a W&OD morning?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    While not heavy snow, by 6:30pm there were pockets of snow and slush on roads and trails. I was on roads in Lyon Park and Clarendon to Ballston, and then the Custis trail. The roads and bits, especially on the bike lanes and Custis has sections of snow, sections of slush and just wet areas. The temperatures may get below freezing tonight, so I half-fear the the Custis will be unpleasant in the morning. Crunchy snow I can handle. Ruts are passable. Icy areas, where puddles were, will be less fun. Are other trails any better? In Arlington, it might get just below freezing, so maybe it won't be too bad, but sunrise is so late that I expect issues in the morning - especially on the hilly Custis. Maybe it is a W&OD morning?
    Wednesdays are my run to work day, and I bailed at EFC metro because of the ice on the roads, sidewalks, and trails. Granted, it was about 6AM and below freezing. Things might be better now that the sun is coming up.

Post Thanks / Like

I chose to take the W&OD in rather than Custis for the fewer and less steep hills.
    The bit of Custis I was on to get to the W&OD was crunchy with some clear spots and some slick spots. The pedestrian bridge over I-66 (part of the detour) was very rutty and slick in a few spots.
    I went through Bon Air and aside from frozen run-off in a couple of spots, it was good.
    W&OD from Wilson to Columbia Pike was very crunchy until the last wooden bridge, then it was pretty clear - and all the way to the end in Shirlington.
    I was shockingly surprised that 4MRT south of Shirlington was mostly wet in the underpasses - I feared those would be icy since there was no treatment, but it looked like that part of Arlington had a lot less snow then the more northern areas.
    Meade-28th-Army-Navy was all good.
    [The only problem I had was turning into the parking garage when my back tire started to come out from under me, but didn't in the end].

I expect all to be defrosted later today and possibly dry with all that wind expected.

Post Thanks / Like

A few icy spots on my neighborhood streets at 8:30, but otherwise good. And the usual frozen run-off on the Ft. Myer / Rt. 50 trail.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for starting the thread. Can the powers that be change the title to "January 2020 Road and Trail Conditions" for posterity?

Thanks!

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

W&OD east of Banneker is totally fine, just a few things to watch out for:

-the drainage areas on the western side of the Carlin Springs underpass (to include the ever-present puddle) will be frozen solid Thursday AM

-there will be some ice in the Wilson underpass, but it's mostly narrow streams of runoff;

-the bends by the Banneker basketball court, and particularly the detour to Roosevelt/Sycamore, were icy AF even at 8pm tonight, so they will be even worse tomorrow

-several of the bridges through Glencarlyn are snow-encrusted, but not particularly slick

9. Likes jeffro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roads/Trails from EFC to Courthouse this morning were fine with a couple of small exceptions. A bit of sheet ice at the intersection of the W&OD and Custis near Bluemont, I did not have to slow down or change trajectory to make turn onto the Custis. Another bit of ice at the intersection of 15th and Quincy, I actually had to slow down to turn cautiously into the bike lane for that one.

11. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the ART, EBT was mostly clear, with a few easily avoided frozen puddles this morning. I suspect most of them will be gone tomorrow. The WBT was another story. There are several massive ice flows that covered the entire trail. Interestingly, trying to go around them in the grass/dirt did not work well because the ground was not frozen and my tires sunk in. due to the size of these and the wet ground surrounding them, I suspect they will be back in play tomorrow morning.