Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donut Ride (Sat. 1/18/2020) and #donut pointless prize for Freezing Saddles 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Donut Ride (Sat. 1/18/2020) and #donut pointless prize for Freezing Saddles 2020

This is a 2-fer special!

Freezing Saddles 2020 Donut Ride - Saturday, January 18th
    One of the most fun things I've ever done was the 2018 Donut Ride that komorebi organized. It was just about perfect, so let's repeat it on Saturday, January 18th. (I've adapted komorebi's original language)

Let's meet at 10:00 AM at Sugar Shack in Arlington at 1014 S. Glebe Rd, then ride to Sugar Shack in Alexandria at 804 N. Henry St, then finish at the Duck Donuts in Alexandria, at 3610-F King St. The planned route is about 9 miles, with a few gentle hills; social pace, no drop.

We don't know what the weather will bring that day, please check the forecast and dress appropriately. If conditions are horrific we will postpone, check this thread by 8 AM on 1/18 if you are unsure about conditions.

#donut Pointless Prize

In the spirit of prizes that Edelweiss and kwarkentein have sponsored in years past, I'm prepared to offer a Pointless Prize for the 3 top ranked donut riders on the leaderboard. So get those rides in, tag them with #donut, eat the doughnuts and take pictures and post them here (optional for prize winning but always appreciated) and come to the closing happy hour to see what you win!

Post Thanks / Like

So, I never know which bike to bring to these events, any suggestions? On one hand, I don't want to slow anyone down. On the other, my fast bike feels inappropriate for the city. So... which would you choose? Commuting bike (upright, step through, fat tires, street shoes fenders, pannier) or road bike (carbon, no fenders, bike shoes, no storage, scared to get stolen). What do you all ride to fun events?
    - the noob GA

3. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bring my road bike, because some of these folks are fast. It's a no-drop ride so bring a Capital Bikeshare bike if you want. If conditions are slippery, we might all be on CaBi for the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obscurerichard View Post
    This is a 2-fer special!

Freezing Saddles 2020 Donut Ride - Saturday, January 18th
    One of the most fun things I've ever done was the 2018 Donut Ride that komorebi organized. It was just about perfect, so let's repeat it on Saturday, January 18th. (I've adapted komorebi's original language)

Let's meet at 10:00 AM at Sugar Shack in Arlington at 1014 S. Glebe Rd, then ride to Sugar Shack in Alexandria at 804 N. Henry St, then finish at the Duck Donuts in Alexandria, at 3610-F King St. The planned route is about 9 miles, with a few gentle hills; social pace, no drop.

We don't know what the weather will bring that day, please check the forecast and dress appropriately. If conditions are horrific we will postpone, check this thread by 8 AM on 1/18 if you are unsure about conditions.
    It's forecasted to snow then change to rain going from low to mid-30s this Saturday. I don't know if that's the definition of horrific for riding conditions, but we still have a few more days for the atmosphere to smile down on us
    https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/...date/2020-1-18

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sat weather.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	20850

Post Thanks / Like

The donut ride is on! Iíve just done a quick test ride on untreated streets and asphalt pathways within a mile of the first stop and although there is snow on the ground and a dusting on the trails conditions are OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by obscurerichard; 01-18-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Steve O for riding with me today!

Although the weather was frightful, the ride was so delightful. We got snowed on, we endured light rain & sleet, but road and trail conditions were fine. The doughnuts were delicious, too.

https://strava.app.link/YJv4nOT9l3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obscurerichard View Post
    Thank you Steve O for riding with me today!
    Don't forget me!

Name:	duck.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	20861

Name:	selfie.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	20862

Name:	yummy.JPG 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	20863

Name:	blueberry.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	20864

Name:	boston cream.JPG 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	20865

12. Likes ChristoB50, Edelweiss liked this post
    Dislikes josh disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a serious jonesing for sugar Shack Alexandria’s blueberry cake doughnut, ever since you started this thread. (I am enough of a connoisseur to specify the Alexandria location, because the Glebe Road location makes an inferior version of this doughnut, on the few days they decide to make it!). I was seriously contemplating joining the ride, but the lure of a nice hot, homemade late morning breakfast kept me glued in doors past the right time.